Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 125 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1441

Quote Originally Posted by wK78 View Post
    You know who would make a great Lee Swagger?? Tom Cruise!!
    Do you realize I can BAN YOU! Mother****er.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Repent Ash, repent!

Quote Originally Posted by WEREWOLF View Post
    Hey Cbear, I think you would dig this one;

It's kind of like Badass without the lame analogies.

Here's a list of the subjects:

Alexander the Great
    Tom Allen
    James Bowie
    Gregory "Pappy" Boyington
    Delf A. "Jelly" Bryce
    Lloyd L. Burke
    Ned Christie
    Winston S. Churchill
    Ty Cobb
    Hannah Duston
    Egil (Skallagrimsson)
    Nathan Bedford Forrest
    Peter Francisco
    Geronimo
    Gurkhas: Jitbahadur Rai, Dwansing Basnet, Lachhiman
    Gurung
    Frank Hamer
    Nancy Hart
    Erich Hartmann & Hans-Joachim Marseille
    Wild Bill Hickok
    Andrew Jackson
    Jean-Louis
    "Turkey Creek" Jack Johnson
    Charles E. "Commando" Kelly
    JosÚ "Pepe" Llulla
    Frank Luke
    Donald McBane
    Bat Masterson & Luke Short
    La Maupin
    Mgobozi
    Audie Murphy
    Miyamoto Musashi
    Charles Nungesser
    Francisco Pizarro
    Robert the Bruce & the Black Douglas
    Ronald Rosser
    Hans Ulrich Rudel
    Shaka (Zulu)
    Sokaku Takeda
    Lance Thomas
    Usamah ibn-Munqidh
    Nancy Wake
    Lewis Wetzel
    Sam Whittemore
    Alvin C. York
    Im familiar with the stories of several of those listed. Im sure they recount Jim Bowies sandbar fight where he won his rep by getting all shot up and still gutting 2 or 3 attackers with his knife. Sgt York and his sniping. Audie Murphey was a total WWII badass who later became the ultimate babyface in Hollywood westerns. Ill definitely get this book.

And here is one of my fav old west badasses who was cool as ice, Elfuego Baca.

Elfego Baca, legendary defender of southwestern Hispanos, manages to hold off a gang of 80 cowboys who are determined to kill him.

The trouble began the previous day, when Baca arrested Charles McCarthy, a cowboy who fired five shots at him in a Frisco (now Reserve), New Mexico, saloon. For months, a vicious band of Texan cowboys had terrorized the Hispanos of Frisco, brutally castrating one young Mexican man and using another for target practice. Outraged by these abuses, Baca gained a commission as deputy sheriff to try to end the terror. His arrest of McCarthy served notice to other Anglo cowboys that further abuses of the Hispanos would not be tolerated.

The Texans, however, were not easily intimidated. The morning after McCarthy's arrest, a group of about 80 cowboys rode into town to free McCarthy and make an example of Baca for all Mexicans. Baca gathered the women and children of the town in a church for their safety and prepared to make a stand. When he saw how outnumbered he was, Baca retreated to an adobe house, where he killed one attacker and wounded several others. The irate cowboys peppered Baca's tiny hideout with bullets, firing about 400 rounds into the flimsy structure. As night fell, they assumed they had killed the defiant deputy sheriff, but the next morning they awoke to the smell of beef stew and tortillas--Baca was fixing his breakfast.

A short while later, two lawmen and several of Baca's friends came to his aid, and the cowboys retreated. Baca turned himself over to the officers, and he was charged with the murder of one of the cowboys. In his trial in Albuquerque, the jury found Baca not guilty because he had acted in self-defense, and he was released to a hero's welcome among the Hispanos of New Mexico. Baca was adored because he had taken a stand against the abusive and racist Anglo newcomers. Hugely popular, Baca later enjoyed a successful career as a lawyer, private detective, and politician in Albuquerque.

Baca officially became the sheriff of Socorro County and secured indictments for the arrest of the area's lawbreakers. Instead of ordering his deputies to pursue the wanted men, he sent each of the accused a letter. It said, "I have a warrant here for your arrest. Please come in by March 15 and give yourself up. If you don’t, I’ll know you intend to resist arrest, and I will feel justified in shooting you on sight when I come after you." Most of the offenders turned themselves in voluntarily.

Metz, his biographer, wrote: “Elfego was, and is, controversial. He drank too much; talked too much ... he had a weakness for wild women. He was often arrogant and, of course, he showed no compunction about killing people.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Repent Ash, repent!

Quote Originally Posted by Cbear View Post

if earl swagger was your dad, he would be ashamed of u for being such a racist hillbilly.

hahahahahaha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WEREWOLF View Post
    Hey Cbear, I think you would dig this one;

It's kind of like Badass without the lame analogies.

Here's a list of the subjects:

Alexander the Great
    Tom Allen
    James Bowie
    Gregory "Pappy" Boyington
    Delf A. "Jelly" Bryce
    Lloyd L. Burke
    Ned Christie
    Winston S. Churchill
    Ty Cobb
    Hannah Duston
    Egil (Skallagrimsson)
    Nathan Bedford Forrest
    Peter Francisco
    Geronimo
    Gurkhas: Jitbahadur Rai, Dwansing Basnet, Lachhiman
    Gurung
    Frank Hamer
    Nancy Hart
    Erich Hartmann & Hans-Joachim Marseille
    Wild Bill Hickok
    Andrew Jackson
    Jean-Louis
    "Turkey Creek" Jack Johnson
    Charles E. "Commando" Kelly
    JosÚ "Pepe" Llulla
    Frank Luke
    Donald McBane
    Bat Masterson & Luke Short
    La Maupin
    Mgobozi
    Audie Murphy
    Miyamoto Musashi
    Charles Nungesser
    Francisco Pizarro
    Robert the Bruce & the Black Douglas
    Ronald Rosser
    Hans Ulrich Rudel
    Shaka (Zulu)
    Sokaku Takeda
    Lance Thomas
    Usamah ibn-Munqidh
    Nancy Wake
    Lewis Wetzel
    Sam Whittemore
    Alvin C. York
    Damn i need to check this one out. I read one recently called master's in command with Alexander, Hannibal and ceaser.. same kind of read.

Last week on my audio/reading tour I listened to Faulkner. I began with The Sound and the Fury. That book is impossible to understand. I'd been told that reading it is confusing, but on audiobook there is no chance. The first section is narrated from the view of a thirty-something mentally handicapped guy. You know how annoying it is to hear, "The gate smelled cold . . . I saw Caddie, she smelled like trees . . . I saw it in the mirror and then it was gone and then it was back in the mirror and then it was gone." Excruciating. The next section is from the point of view of a crazy person so that halfway through I still have no ****ing clue what is going on or supposed to happen. The next two sections are much clearer though not exactly light reading.

The hardest thing about the audiobook is all the "stream of consciousness." You have narrators telling you what's happening, what happened, what they think happened, what they imagine happened, what they know didn't happen but fantasize could have, and and they lace it all with random self-reflective interjections like "Oh what have I done!?" and "Father, I have committed incest!" In the book apparently, Faulkner at least used italics to separate stream of consciousness from other narration, but an audio-book has nothing to tell you. Add to this that Faulkner jumps around in time in the story as well, and I swear . . .

During my Spanish major in college, I read some hard books. 100 Years of Solitude has got nothing on The Sound and the Fury.

Next week, Crime and Punishment.
    Last edited by telerion; 02-03-2013 at 11:43 AM.

just finished reading "Black Light".

Quote Originally Posted by dhk1980 View Post
    just finished reading "Black Light".
    A decent read.

Repent Ash, repent!

A decent read.
    i really liked this one and point of impact. now, i'm starting the 3rd book in the series, Time to Hunt. so old cB, was your dad alot like bob lee's dad? did he teach u how to shoot and take good care of guns?

Quote Originally Posted by dhk1980 View Post
    i really liked this one and point of impact. now, i'm starting the 3rd book in the series, Time to Hunt. so old cB, was your dad alot like bob lee's dad? did he teach u how to shoot and take good care of guns?
    Oh yeah. We spent tons of time hunting, fishing, camping.

Repent Ash, repent!