Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 129 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1441

Hit Me by Lawrence Block. Its the latest in his Keller series. Keller is a hitman who contracts out through his broker Dot, 60 something widow with all the contacts from her late husband. The Keller books are essentially short stories with each chapter a different hit. The killing is all implied, its not literary gore at all and the real attraction of the books is the dialogue between Keller and Dot, his wife and others. The closest I can come to putting a face to it would be Christopher Walken and the stilted, quirky way he converses. Walken would be a great Keller, too bad he isnt 20 years younger but I suppose it doesnt matter as Hollywood will destroy it by casting Ryan Gosling or some other totally inappropriate character. Keller is also an avid stamp collector so alot of the book between killings is him on the hunt for stamps. This is not the best of the Keller books but its enjoyable and its a fast read as its written in short bites perfect for travelling and reading between stops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Repent Ash, repent!

just got through "I, Sniper". now reading "Dirty White Boys"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

James Welch : The Heartsong of Charging Elk. Welch is probably my favorite Native American writer and this one did not disappoint. The book is historical fiction based on the true story of an Ogala Sioux, Charging Elk, who joins the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show in 1892 touring Europe. He becomes sick and then injures himself falling off his horse during a show in Marseilles, France. He wakes up alone in the hospital and realizes he has been left behind in a strange land where he doesn't speak the language or understand the "modern world" around him. This was a very interesting story as he tries to find his way in a new world and yet longs for going back to his homeland.
    He's got a heart as big as Tito's f*cking head.

Quote Originally Posted by dhk1980 View Post
    just got through "I, Sniper". now reading "Dirty White Boys"
    I'm sure the opening line of Dirty White Boys gave you a chubby

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
    James Welch : The Heartsong of Charging Elk. Welch is probably my favorite Native American writer and this one did not disappoint. The book is historical fiction based on the true story of an Ogala Sioux, Charging Elk, who joins the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show in 1892 touring Europe. He becomes sick and then injures himself falling off his horse during a show in Marseilles, France. He wakes up alone in the hospital and realizes he has been left behind in a strange land where he doesn't speak the language or understand the "modern world" around him. This was a very interesting story as he tries to find his way in a new world and yet longs for going back to his homeland.
    Interesting. Have you ever read Little Big Man by Thomas Berger? Its one of my favorites ever. Tremendous book made into a tremendous movie starring Dustin Hoffman. 102 year old Jack Crabb is the only survivor of Little Big Horn and tells his story of going back and forth from the white and Indian worlds. I cant recommend it highly enough, you will love it. Read the book and watch the movie.

Also, the movie, Buffalo Bill and the Indians: Or Sitting Bulls History Lesson starring Paul Newman is a different take on the wild west show period when Sitting Bull joined the show for a short time.

Repent Ash, repent!

Quote Originally Posted by Cbear View Post
    Interesting. Have you ever read Little Big Man by Thomas Berger? Its one of my favorites ever. Tremendous book made into a tremendous movie starring Dustin Hoffman. 102 year old Jack Crabb is the only survivor of Little Big Horn and tells his story of going back and forth from the white and Indian worlds. I cant recommend it highly enough, you will love it. Read the book and watch the movie.

Also, the movie, Buffalo Bill and the Indians: Or Sitting Bulls History Lesson starring Paul Newman is a different take on the wild west show period when Sitting Bull joined the show for a short time.
    Yes, I've seen Little Big Man and Buffalo Bill numerous times, but I've never read the Berger book. Chief Dan George was awesome in the movie. I'll have to go back and read the book.

Have you ever read any of James Welch's books? I would also highly recommend "Fools Crow". It's a great historical fiction book about a young Blackfoot indian trying to deal with the ending of his historical culture with the influx of white settlers and the discovery of gold in the Montana territories in the late 1800s. As with one of my other favorites, Andrew Garcia's "A Tough Trip Through Paradise", I really love them since I'm quite familiar with all of the locations and geography in the books.

Picked up a few from the discount table at Barnes and Noble.

30-Second Bible- 50 most meaningful moments in the Bible explained in half a minute. Cliff notes for the Bible.

Visual Reference Guides: Mythology.
    Visual Reference Guides: Guitar.
    Visual Reference Guides: Religion

These are cool little books with lots of pictures. Perfect bathroom reading.

Repent Ash, repent!

Just read Octopus, which is a mind bogglingly stupid true story about a financial trader who starts faking his returns, which is surprisingly easy to do, leading his money losing hege fund (he's so incompetent he's losing money in a huge bull market) to show huge paper profits by a simple accounting trick. He becomes increasingly desperate to fix the problem, leading him to get conned by an interesting group of characters. The premise is so stupid you can't believe this moron doesn't get it, but it's a true story, and he's not alone.

Although I found the book to be kind of poorly written I would recommend it, although not highly.
    Last edited by don king; 03-16-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Moby Dick. I'm pretty sure no sailor has ever used so many obscure SAT words in every sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by telerion View Post
    Moby Dick. I'm pretty sure no sailor has ever used so many obscure SAT words in every sentence.
    Call me Ishmael.......snoreeeeeeeee..........

Repent Ash, repent!