Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    As a full body workout, it does the trick (although you missed your back to balance it out); but if you plan on going to the gym on a regular basis, it is not good for you.

Your body needs rest between workouts, and doing full body workouts each workout is not good for your body. This is why workout programs that focus on groups of body parts each day are ideal for someone who goes to the gym regularly.

Of course, this is only if you plan on hitting the gym 4-5 times a week. Otherwise, enjoy your routine!
    Hmm, I couldn't think of a back exercise conducive to this kind of speed workout. When I lift I do deadlifts, but tend to keep them slow-ish. I wish I had a place in my garage to do dips (I love dips for some reason), but can't really think of a good way of doing them. Any suggestions? All I have is a bench and some barbells.

As far as the over training thing, I was probably planning on only doing this once a week or so and replacing one of my other workouts. No forever mind you, just 6-12 weeks or so and see how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Didn't realize this was all at home, that definitely limits things but there are still lots of options.

You could do bent over barbell rows, or put plates on only one end of the barbell and do a variation of a t-bar row (put non-weighted end in the corner of the room to keep it in place). That's one of my favourite back exercises, plus it's great for your core.

As for dips, put a chair about 3-4 ft from the bench and do bench dips. It's not gonna work you chest as much a regular dips, but its great for the triceps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I had forgot about t-bar rows. Good call

Dude, did some t-bar rows today and loved it. Thanks for the advice.

I wish we had more fitness/training/work-out dialogue on here. There really isn't a great place on the internet for that. Bodybuilding.com is all meathead talk about which cycle to do to increase your traps and 4chan /fit/ is a bunch of 15 year old spouting bro-science and calling each other gay.

I got to BB.com all the time as there is some great info there, but yeah, I don't ever engage conversations over there.

Fitness talk is tough because everyone really has a different idea on what is a proper.

I go there a lot to read discussions on supplements or workout programs, but it can often be difficult to find a decisive answer.

home workout? if i had space i'd get a cage and an adjustable bench. i love bent over rows and speed sets on deadlift. you only need like 135 pounds to do them. rip the bar off the ground as fast as you can 3-5 times for a couple sets. helps you break through plateaus. you use compound sets? right now i do deaflifts 5-3-3-3-3, going to switch to 3-2-1-1. after that i do seated (low) rows for, lat pulldowns for 8, seated rows (high) for 8, and then something for rear delts for 8. no rest between sets but one minute between cycles. i haven't even had to work biceps or traps because they get plenty secondary work from the compound set.

i'm doing the same thing for legs and chest. core lifts 5x5 and then massive compound sets 3 times. haven't been working shoulders, triceps, forearms, etc... by themselves. been working well so far. bench is up for the first time in years. could probably do 315 finally (got 305 twice at the end of my workout after doing 245x5 255x5 and so on up to 285).

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Pat Barry doing standing bench press. These look scary!

dear lord, why?

ok started over from the beginning of the thread. skeleton: how much do you know about weightlifting in general? what are your goals? are you just going for a crossfit workout style or are you trying to lift seriously? i've been lifting for years and know a lot about this stuff, not as much as a pro but i am 5'10 200-205 and pretty solid. you've seen my fight video so you have a rough idea the shape i'm in

might youtube elliot hulse. he's got a bunch of good videos on lifting

Nate, I don't think I've ever actually seen your fight video, but that's besides the point. Post it you don't mind.

I have been lifting ever since JR High, but never seriously. I've done short burst of serious lifting, but never anything consistently up until about a year and a half ago. I've been running for about 6-7 years (farthest I've done is a half-marathon) but I decided I wanted to add some resistance training in there as well.

For the last 18 months or some I've been eating a lot more protein, making sure I get the calories I need. I realize my gains aren't going to be as fast or substantial because I still run. I did about 8-10 weeks or just weights, 5 times a week, no running. I gained weight and muscle which was awesome, but I tried to run and could barely move and I didn't like it.

Right now I am lifting 3 times a week and running twice a week. I'm getting stronger and I love that feeling so I definitely want to keep increasing my strength and gaining muscle mass.

ok. even though this isn't exactly right I like to think of it like this: you can work out for strength, mass, or looks.
    personally I like to do cycles of each. winter you're getting fat anyway so why not do your mass building then? I'm powerlifting for now through about march when I switch to bodybuilding, and then i'll change to looks around may/june.

pyramid sets are the gold standard for all the above, just with different rep ranges. joe weider created it and it's been added to since then but remains the bible in the training world.

for protein intake you need 1 gram per pound of bodyweight (could stretch to 1.5) and lots of water. the rest you'd have to do a lot of reading on but cut out simple carbs from your diet. those are the key parts.

you need to focus on the core lifts bench, deadlift and squat. squats and deadlifts not only work out your back and legs wonderfully, they hit big portions of your body (compound movements). they trigger testosterone and growth hormone release in the body as well, which improves your results from everything else. I have a bad back so I only do low reps for deadlifts, never more than 3 on my working sets. an example would be 135x5 for a warmup once or twice and then 5 sets of 3.

here check this out:

this is a great program for someone like you. it's in between a bodybuilding and powerlifting program, probably closer to powerlifting. you could do this for 3 months and then increase the volume to focus on bodybuilding
    Last edited by 19nate79; 01-07-2014 at 10:00 PM.