Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Moving to Cali in two weeks.

It's official, I'm moving to Cali on January 24th from Boston and I need input, advice or whatever nuggets of west coast wisdom you have for me.

Ill be living just outside of downtown San Francisco and will be flying most of my stuff out there, mailing a few things, and selling the rest (anybody need a heavybag kickboxing cage, olympic weights, etc).

I've been out there several times so I know what to expect but I've never moved across country or lived in Cali so I definitely could use some tips.

26 years in New England, time for the next chapter...

What's the reason behind the move (besides your crappy winters, of course)?

Also, I've never been to CA, so that question is my one and only contribution to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wgrapple View Post
    It's official, I'm moving to Cali on January 24th from Boston and I need input, advice or whatever nuggets of west coast wisdom you have for me.

Ill be living just outside of downtown San Francisco and will be flying most of my stuff out there, mailing a few things, and selling the rest (anybody need a heavybag kickboxing cage, olympic weights, etc).

I've been out there several times so I know what to expect but I've never moved across country or lived in Cali so I definitely could use some tips.

Where exactly are you living?

San Fran can actually get really cold in the morning/nights so don't give away your warm clothes. While San Jose gets really hot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by wgrapple View Post

Living just outside downtown SF ? I sure hope your pulling in serious coin, it is fuggin expensive around those parts.
    LIBERALISM IS A MENTAL DISORDER

Sofargone

I take it I won't see you at the Interpol show February anymore eh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLee View Post
    Where exactly are you living?

San Fran can actually get really cold in the morning/nights so don't give away your warm clothes. While San Jose gets really hot.
    hahahahahahaha He's coming from BOSTON dude!! It doesn't snow in San Fran, and "cold" is around high 30s in January at night with a little wind and/or fog.

San Jose is nowhere close to "HOT" unless you're comparing it to San Francisco. Normal temps in the summer are in the high 80's to low 90s, with a couple of hot days thrown in. Hot in this area is when you come into the central coast a bit and you'll get 15 days a month over 100 degrees for a couple months in the summer.

Just south of SF as in Redwood City, San Mateo, Palo Alto, San Bruno, Millbrae....where you settling down at?

I grew up in the bay area (25 years there) and now live just inland (still get back to the Bay Area a lot as my family still lives there) so feel free to hit me up for anything you have questions on. PM me if you don't want it plastered all over the net.
    Last edited by Thumpin; 01-11-2011 at 02:01 PM.

My only advice is not to take any advice from Thumpin. j/k

I can't help out much, but hopefully the move goes well. My fiancee and I know we will be moving in 3 years and looking for a good place to settle down, and the SF area is one of the places we are interested in, so maybe I'll be asking you similar questions in a few years.

Let us know when you get settled. Good luck.
    Everyone is different. The problem is, most people want to be the same -Alfred Kinsey

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin View Post
    hahahahahahaha He's coming from BOSTON dude!! It doesn't snow in San Fran, and "cold" is around high 30s in January at night with a little wind and/or fog.

San Jose is nowhere close to "HOT" unless you're comparing it to San Francisco. Normal temps in the summer are in the high 80's to low 90s, with a couple of hot days thrown in. Hot in this area is when you come into the central coast a bit and you'll get 15 days a month over 100 degrees for a couple months in the summer.
    Calm down.

I didn't say anything about snow. Just said you might want to keep a hold of your warm clothes (jackets, etc) and not give them away.

And San Jose is hot. Maybe not for someone who grew up in Calif or Arizona but yeah for everyone else it gets pretty hot.

I've never been to San Francisco but it seems to be one of those places just about everybody likes. It's one of the few cities here in the States I have a serious interest in visiting. Best of luck in your move. Moving can be a hassle, especially cross country moves. I did it a couple times as a kid. I am guessing you already have a job lined up out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo08 View Post
    What's the reason behind the move (besides your crappy winters, of course)?

Also, I've never been to CA, so that question is my one and only contribution to this thread.
    The weather in SF is definitely more for me with no extremes and relative coolness from water.

The main motivation for moving is career opportunities and a change of environment. I have a couple of great connections in the finance world out there that have convinced me that it's the right move at the right time.