Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 144
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo08 View Post
    So, how was day number 2?
    Day 2 was awesome. I got my ass kicked again but had a hell of a time doing it. I asked alot more questions this time and I'm very happy with how helpful every one are. I learned tricks on how escape side control from bottom and a couple of submission defences.

    We sparred the last 20 minutes and where the scenario was:

    We started in side control.
    Goal of the guy on the bottom was to transition to a better position, like half guard, full guard, sweep etc.
    Goal of the top guy was to submit bottom guy.

    I got subbed all times but once when I was on bottom. I got a half guard after my opponent tried a sloppy mount.
    When I was on top I had no idea what to do I'm a big guy so I just went in close on them and pinned them. I tried kimuras but I don't really grasp the technique so I failed. I tried an arm triangle but got sweeped easily.

    So this was my first week. It is free to train for a week down there so now I gotta pay up. The price is 325 Danish Kroner a month which is roughly $62.
    How's the price in America?
    For the $62 I can train as much as I want. Besides traditional BJJ they teach: Submission wrestling, MMA, boxing and crossfit. And there are weight lifting facilities as well (Yay!)

    I personally think it's a fair price. Especially when there's a crossfit class as well. I don't know about America but in Denmark crossfit is expensive as hell.

    Anyway that was day 2

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I haven't taken any kind of martial arts since i was a child and im looking to start taking some bjj classes and i wanted to know what should i look out for? The one school i was looking into was charge about $135(i think but not too sure) a month, is that reasonable? please help lol!!! I was gonna start a thread about this but i don't want to crowd up the forum with stuff that's probably been said already(btw i don't mean to hijack the thread op).

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spasgur View Post
    Day 2 was awesome. I got my ass kicked again but had a hell of a time doing it. I asked alot more questions this time and I'm very happy with how helpful every one are. I learned tricks on how escape side control from bottom and a couple of submission defences.

    We sparred the last 20 minutes and where the scenario was:

    We started in side control.
    Goal of the guy on the bottom was to transition to a better position, like half guard, full guard, sweep etc.
    Goal of the top guy was to submit bottom guy.

    I got subbed all times but once when I was on bottom. I got a half guard after my opponent tried a sloppy mount.
    When I was on top I had no idea what to do I'm a big guy so I just went in close on them and pinned them. I tried kimuras but I don't really grasp the technique so I failed. I tried an arm triangle but got sweeped easily.

    So this was my first week. It is free to train for a week down there so now I gotta pay up. The price is 325 Danish Kroner a month which is roughly $62.
    How's the price in America?
    For the $62 I can train as much as I want. Besides traditional BJJ they teach: Submission wrestling, MMA, boxing and crossfit. And there are weight lifting facilities as well (Yay!)

    I personally think it's a fair price. Especially when there's a crossfit class as well. I don't know about America but in Denmark crossfit is expensive as hell.

    Anyway that was day 2
    Way more expensive here in the states. GB gyms are around $125, smaller gyms around $80-100

  4. #14

    Default

    So to revive an old thread.......

    After a little over a year of Judo, I went to my first BJJ class at an academy down the street. A couple of thoughts-

    1.). We spent the first 2/3rd of the class practicing, of all things, hip throws! I did learn several major lessons though- first, after a year of Judo, my hip those are still embarrassingly bad. Secondly, my break falls are way better than pretty much any other BJJer at the class. And lastly, BJJ/Judo rivalry aside, the hip throws demonstrated by the purple belt instructor were damn good. I could learn a TON (even that's a huge understatement) from him.

    2.) I've always considers my pins pretty weak- especially yoko shiho gatame. But both my yoko shiho and my kesa gatame felt very strong tonight. Even though a pin doesn't win a match in BJJ, they are still damn good at demoralizing your opponent.

    3.) I was able to submit both of my sparring partners fairly quickly, both with sode guruma. One of them asked how long I've been doing BJJ. I'm not going to lie, that did make me feel good about my newaza. Granted they were both white belts and I was arm barred a few times in sparring. I could literally count the number of times I've been arm barred in Judo during the last year on one hand and certainly never by a white belt. Goes to show how fast you can pick up the ground game in BJJ.

    4.) I never got the chance to try out my standing game against any sparring partners. One of them asked if I wanted to start of standing and as much as I wanted to say yes, after looking at all the guys practicing on the ground, I knew it would be a disaster. Unfortunately, I had to tell him we were better off starting on our knees.

    5.). Once again, BJJ/Judo rivalry aside, I felt quite at home in a BJJ class. Judo groundwork isn't all that different from BJJ and the hip throws from the BJJ instructor were impressive. The two arts have WAY more in common then they often times want to admit.

    6.) BJJ is WAY more expensive than Judo. This could be the deciding factor on whether or not I go back.

    All in all, I had a great time.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,835

    Default

    I find it abit strange that I've had so little training in take downs or throws. Granted, the last 4-5 months I've focused more on no gi BJJ but still, I hardly know how to do a hip throw. All I do is just shoot for doubles or singles and I've never had practice in any of those techniques so I am pretty bad at them. You can train freestyle wrestling at my gym now so I might try and go to a couple of classes.

    So far what has clearly improved is my overall ground game, I would say my strengths are guard passes and kimuras. My guard sucks pretty bad, but I am starting to fare decently against other white belts. My flexibility has improved almost dramatically, especially in my legs. My overall body strength has also improved a lot and so has my cardio. I haven't been training as frequently as I want this past month, but in a week there won't be any classes at my college until september so I hope I can step it up then. I haven't had my first fight yet, but there's a tournament in fall that I consider signing up for.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    29

    Default

    I have been doing jiu jitsu a few years now, but only had my first tournament in January. I did OK, I went 5-2 (4 sub wins, 1 by points, 2 sub losses) losing to the same guy during the tournament and then for the final match. I got 2nd place, which isn't too bad even though I was secretly hoping to win the whole thing hahahahaha.

    For me my mma class is 60$ a month, our instructor is pretty cool about prices, he makes most his money from managing the fighters here.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo08 View Post
    So to revive an old thread.......

    After a little over a year of Judo, I went to my first BJJ class at an academy down the street. A couple of thoughts-

    1.). We spent the first 2/3rd of the class practicing, of all things, hip throws! I did learn several major lessons though- first, after a year of Judo, my hip those are still embarrassingly bad. Secondly, my break falls are way better than pretty much any other BJJer at the class. And lastly, BJJ/Judo rivalry aside, the hip throws demonstrated by the purple belt instructor were damn good. I could learn a TON (even that's a huge understatement) from him.

    2.) I've always considers my pins pretty weak- especially yoko shiho gatame. But both my yoko shiho and my kesa gatame felt very strong tonight. Even though a pin doesn't win a match in BJJ, they are still damn good at demoralizing your opponent.

    3.) I was able to submit both of my sparring partners fairly quickly, both with sode guruma. One of them asked how long I've been doing BJJ. I'm not going to lie, that did make me feel good about my newaza. Granted they were both white belts and I was arm barred a few times in sparring. I could literally count the number of times I've been arm barred in Judo during the last year on one hand and certainly never by a white belt. Goes to show how fast you can pick up the ground game in BJJ.

    4.) I never got the chance to try out my standing game against any sparring partners. One of them asked if I wanted to start of standing and as much as I wanted to say yes, after looking at all the guys practicing on the ground, I knew it would be a disaster. Unfortunately, I had to tell him we were better off starting on our knees.

    5.). Once again, BJJ/Judo rivalry aside, I felt quite at home in a BJJ class. Judo groundwork isn't all that different from BJJ and the hip throws from the BJJ instructor were impressive. The two arts have WAY more in common then they often times want to admit.

    6.) BJJ is WAY more expensive than Judo. This could be the deciding factor on whether or not I go back.

    All in all, I had a great time.
    Did you decide to continue?

    On the judo/BJJ rivalry and hip throws, a lot of advanced guys have taken at least some judo. Others may have learned from some one who did. My BJJ coach has a wrestling background but has lots of respect for judo. He'll often come ask me for tips. Interestingly, he's a lot more open to my judo tips than my judo instructor is to my newaza advice. A LOT MORE

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by telerion View Post
    Did you decide to continue?

    On the judo/BJJ rivalry and hip throws, a lot of advanced guys have taken at least some judo. Others may have learned from some one who did. My BJJ coach has a wrestling background but has lots of respect for judo. He'll often come ask me for tips. Interestingly, he's a lot more open to my judo tips than my judo instructor is to my newaza advice. A LOT MORE

    I ended up signing up for one class a week. That makes it 1 BJJ class plus 2-3 Judo classes a week. It's becoming a bit of an expensive hobby. Combined with the fact that it's addicting as hell, means I'll probably be living in my car, training 6-7 days a week by the end of the year. Still, if you're going to be an addict, may as well become addicted to something that's good for you.

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo08 View Post
    I ended up signing up for one class a week. That makes it 1 BJJ class plus 2-3 Judo classes a week. It's becoming a bit of an expensive hobby. Combined with the fact that it's addicting as hell, means I'll probably be living in my car, training 6-7 days a week by the end of the year. Still, if you're going to be an addict, may as well become addicted to something that's good for you.
    As far as signs of a bad addiction go, living in your car is not the one to watch out for. When you find yourself offering to give your JiuJitsu instructor a handjob in the backally for just 20 more minutes of guard passing instruction, then you should probably seek help.

    END COMMUNICATION

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordZardoz View Post
    As far as signs of a bad addiction go, living in your car is not the one to watch out for. When you find yourself offering to give your JiuJitsu instructor a handjob in the backally for just 20 more minutes of guard passing instruction, then you should probably seek help.

    END COMMUNICATION
    Wait, you get 20 mins for a handjob???? Damn, I need to work on my negotiating skills....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •