Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 129
  1. #41

    Default

    So, I had a chance to spar with a guy last night who has really good wrestling. I figured it'd be a good chance to work on my stand up a bit, so I asked if he wanted to start on the feet and he agreed. He was definitely more explosive than me, but I was doing a very good job neutralizing his wrestling with my grips and avoided several of his shot attempts (he said my take down defense was 'incredible'). I was feeling pretty good and attempted a tome nage a couple of minutes in. He defended (no big deal), but the I made the fatal mistake of getting back up with out creating space (****ing grappling 101). He immediately gets low and basically suplexes me onto my left shoulder. Crunch.

    I ended going to the ER and they did an x-ray which came back negative. Doctor said probably just a sprain and offered to prescribe a pain killer which I declined. I was just happy there wasn't any damage done. Well......I got a call from the doctor earlier this morning saying they double checked the x-rays and there's a hairline fracture in the collar bone. ****, ****, and ****. Anybody have any experience with this kind of injury?
    Last edited by Wahoo08; 12-04-2012 at 09:50 AM.

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo08 View Post
    So, I had a chance to spar with a guy last night who has really good wrestling. I figured it'd be a good chance to work on my stand up a bit, so I asked if he wanted to start on the feet and he agreed. He was definitely more explosive than me, but I was doing a very good job neutralizing his wrestling with my grips and avoided several of his shot attempts (he said my take down defense was 'incredible'). I was feeling pretty good and attempted a tome nage a couple of minutes in. He defended (no big deal), but the I made the fatal mistake of getting back up with out creating space (****ing grappling 101). He immediately gets low and basically suplexes me onto my left shoulder. Crunch.

    I ended going to the ER and they did an x-ray which came back negative. Doctor said probably just a sprain and offered to prescribe a pain killer which I declined. I was just happy there wasn't any damage done. Well......I got a call from the doctor earlier this morning saying they double checked the x-rays and there's a hairline fracture in the collar bone. ****, ****, and ****. Anybody have any experience with this kind of injury?
    Fractured my collarbone when I was younger. It sucks and can be quite painful for a lot of movements, but is dependent on how serious the break is. A hairline fracture might not be too bad. I had to sleep with a brace to pull the bone into place and it was so damn uncomfortable. Also, I was just in a sling for during the waking hours but just about any movement of the arm hurt for around 6-8 weeks (going off of memory on the time frame). Even things like bouncing up and down stairs was pretty painful.

    It's really hard to say what you will experience because I had a pretty sizable break and it was a decade ago so my memory is a bit hazy on specifics. I do remember it healing up nicely though and shortly after I was out of the sling completely movement was back to 100 percent and I could even jump rope etc. In the grand scheme of things I would say it's not too bad of an injury. Expect to be very limited in your use with your one arm and all the hassles that come with that for at least a month, plus, training will likely have to wait quite a bit longer.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    Diddo to jmose's experience. In college, I broke my collarbone in two places while playing flag football. Had to wear the brace and all that. Not being able to turn on my side while sleeping sucked!

    Also my oldest daughter broke her collarbone in a judo tournament this summer. She was fighting not to land on her back and landed on her shoulder instead. Tough kid. We figured it was just sprained and gave her some ibuprofen. Wasn't until the next day that we got X-rays.

    Both cases took a couple months to heal.

    If you have a decent break, then in addition to a pain in the ass brace, you'll also receive a permanent bump where the bone fuses again. So much for moonlighting as a swimsuit model.

    BTW: Get well soon.
    Last edited by telerion; 12-04-2012 at 05:31 PM.

  4. #44

    Default

    Have had horrific problems with my shoulder mainly down to me not resting it and not getting it properly checked out.
    "The power of the people is much stronger than the people in power"

  5. #45

    Default

    Man, you guys are killing me. I was thinking in terms of 'weeks' to heal, not 'months'. I'm hoping since they missed it on the initial x-ray, it's just a small fracture and not as bad as the ones you guys have experienced. I'm supposed to call an orthopedic in the next day or so to set up a follow up consolation. I guess I'll have more answers then. Worst part is, I can't lift or even do cardio while I'm out. I just get home from work and sit on the couch all evening. Ugh.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo08 View Post
    Man, you guys are killing me. I was thinking in terms of 'weeks' to heal, not 'months'. I'm hoping since they missed it on the initial x-ray, it's just a small fracture and not as bad as the ones you guys have experienced. I'm supposed to call an orthopedic in the next day or so to set up a follow up consolation. I guess I'll have more answers then. Worst part is, I can't lift or even do cardio while I'm out. I just get home from work and sit on the couch all evening. Ugh.
    It could take 6-8 weeks. There. Does that feel better?

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by telerion View Post
    It could take 6-8 weeks. There. Does that feel better?
    Was that necessary?

    Well this has become an unpleasant place. It's a Shame really.


















  8. #48

    Default

    There's plenty of bright side. It's not a terrible injury, relatively speaking. No surgery, no threat of re-injuring it after it heals (as long as you let it fully heal), and once it heals aside from a small little bump on the bone you will never know it happened when it comes to any residual effects. There are plenty of other shoulder injuries (and injuries in general) which take a lot longer to heal and that would haunt you in training for years to comes.
    Last edited by jmose86; 12-06-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: misspelled "heal" 10 times

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmose86 View Post
    There's plenty of bright side. It's not a terrible injury, relatively speaking. No surgery, no threat of re-injuring it after it heels (as long as you let it fully heel), and once it heels aside from a small little bump on the bone you will never know it happened when it comes to any residual effects. There are plenty of other shoulder injuries (and injuries in general) which take a lot longer to heel and that would haunt you in training for years to comes.

    For instance, I hurt my shoulder about 4 months or so ago (not sure how exactly). Haven't been able to lift weighs at all. I kept at judo and BJJ training and just modified my exercise to protect it, but it hurt like hell. Took a month off. The constant pain went away but some movements hurt just as much. Went to a specialist. Said it could be a torn rotator cuff, but he was leaning toward torn bicips tendon. Stretch it he told me. So I did (sort of). Another month, same problem. Started hurting again from putting on a sweater. So now I'm convinced they're gonna have to cut me open. In the meantime, I'm gonna keep training through the pain. Gotta get as much in, before doc puts me on the shelf for some months.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo08 View Post
    Was that necessary?

    Well this has become an unpleasant place. It's a Shame really.
    Never gonna live that down.

    Looking back over that thread, I think if I had removed the word "clearly," there wouldn't have been a problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •