Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by telerion View Post
    ...In the meantime, I'm gonna keep training through the pain. Gotta get as much in, before doc puts me on the shelf for some months.
    While I can kind of understand that thinking, it seems spectacularly counter productive as far as letting the injury heal properly. Its not like the injury is somehow not real until a Doctor says it is. Trying to train through it will either delay the recovery or worsen the injury.

My younger brother broke his collarbone as well doing some stuff on his BMX about 7 or 8 years ago. The long healing time is because its not a bone they can just isolate with a cast. All they can do is basically hand you some pain killers and a sling or a brace for your arm, and tell you to let it heal.

END COMMUNICATION

Quote Originally Posted by LordZardoz View Post
    My younger brother broke his collarbone as well doing some stuff on his BMX about 7 or 8 years ago. The long healing time is because its not a bone they can just isolate with a cast. All they can do is basically hand you some pain killers and a sling or a brace for your arm, and tell you to let it heal.

END COMMUNICATION
    Yea that's part of the bitch about it. Having, say a cast on your wrist and hand means you just flat out can't use it, aside from some bumbling balance activities. But with just a sling you need to constantly remind yourself not to instinctively grab something with your arm like a swinging door or something you have just knocked over etc. because you end up doing it out of habit and it hurts like hell. And there's plenty of times that you ignore logic and try to do more than you should, like washing dishes is fine if you hold the dish with your injured arm and clean it with the other, but then foolishly you trying to swing your arm to set the dish aside, feel the pain, and wonder why the hell you just did that.

Doctor's appointment went about as well as could have been expected. Confirmed a small, hairline fracture. I need to do a follow up X-ray in 2 weeks, but the doctor said I should be ready to go in about 6 weeks. Feeling pretty good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo08 View Post
    Doctor's appointment went about as well as could have been expected. Confirmed a small, hairline fracture. I need to do a follow up X-ray in 2 weeks, but the doctor said I should be ready to go in about 6 weeks. Feeling pretty good right now.
    Good news. Six weeks will fly by.

now try wrestling!

Hey Wahoo... hows the injury?

Quote Originally Posted by jmose86 View Post
    Hey Wahoo... hows the injury?
    Ugh......touchy subject.

Missed about 2 months before coming back 2 weeks before my Judo club hosted a local tournament. Shoulder was feeling pretty decent and I did a round of sparring 2 days before the tourney and the shoulder felt pretty good, so I said **** it, I'm competing. 10 seconds into the first match, my opponent goes for a tome nage, which I was able to partially avoid, but landed right on my bad shoulder. My opponent pinned me in Kesa Gatame, which I escaped from with just a second or two to go, but pretty much took out whatever remained of my shoulder in the process.

Only real regret is I didn't pull out after my first match. I ended up competing in four matches, losing all four by pin. The last three were all pretty much disasters. So I ended up with four losses and what may be a torn rotator cuff. The shoulder doesn't hurt as bad as it did when I first injured it, but it definitely set me back by at least a month. Lessoned learned though. I'll never, ever compete injured again.
    Last edited by Wahoo08; 03-08-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Damn, sorry to hear. I figured based on the lack of updates that hopefully everything had righted itself without setbacks. It's a tough lesson to learn but a good one (and surprisingly necessary one) for any athlete, especially when you factor in the natural stubbornness/competitiveness in sports.

A bit confused though. Did your collar bone fracture affect you injuring your rotator cuff in this tournament? Or had you hurt your whole shoulder in the original injury?

Quote Originally Posted by jmose86 View Post
    Damn, sorry to hear. I figured based on the lack of updates that hopefully everything had righted itself without setbacks. It's a tough lesson to learn but a good one (and surprisingly necessary one) for any athlete, especially when you factor in the natural stubbornness/competitiveness in sports.

A bit confused though. Did your collar bone fracture affect you injuring your rotator cuff in this tournament? Or had you hurt your whole shoulder in the original injury?
    I *think* when I originally injured the shoulder, I did more than just the collarbone, although nothing else was officially diagnosed. The doctor mentioned possibly doing an MRI when the x-ray first came back negative, but when they discovered the fracture on the reinspection, it was never mentioned again. Everything hurt at the time, so I was in no position to question her.

Collar bone feels just fine now (complete with the lump I was warned about), but a couple of training partners that I've talked to, who've had shoulder injuries, said it sounds like a rotator cuff injury, based on where the pain is and my range of motion. I probably went a bit overboard on the previous post (told you it was a touchy subject); I doubt anything is torn at this point, but I definitely reaggrivated my shoulder.

Frustrating because I really think I was 80% of the way back to full strength. Ah well...at least I'm not starting completely over; just set me back a few weeks. I did get a good laugh reading through my previous posts though. Funny how in December I was worried about missing 6 weeks and now we're in March and I'm probably another month out from sparring because I made some stupid choices.
    Last edited by Wahoo08; 03-09-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Tough luck Wahoo. I'm pretty paranoid about shoulder injuries. A guy that I train with has repeatedly been having big pauses from training due to a shoulder injury. He's been kinda reckless, not following the doctors' advice and has cut his injury breaks short only to get injured again shortly after starting training again.
    Hope you get it sorted this time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.