Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172

Quote Originally Posted by ACIDBATHBELFORT View Post
    I think people are going to have a natural tendency to question what is unfamiliar. A lot of UF and SEC fans were questioning the spread working in the SEC when Meyer first came over. This is not at all a knock, but the Big Ten is probably the most tradition oriented conference there is. The Big Ten has always prided itself on smash mouth football. So bringing in the small, speedy, shifty guys is a total change to the old school mentality. Sorry if Im wrong, but Im sure I recall Cripp even mentioning something similar to what Im saying, how he much prefer old school Big Ten football.

What I find hilarious is how the Big Ten has constantly criticized the SEC and its so called ethics. Yet, their marquee school brings in the most underhanded coach in the SEC. Columbus will love him though because he will win, but the rest of the Big Ten will despise Meyer. I think in two years OSU will be back at the top of the Big Ten. He just has to work with Miller for a year. Although Rich Rod does have UM on the comeback trail.
    Seeing as how Dick rod didn't even coach UM last year, I am not sure how much you are paying attention.

The Big Ten used to have a lot of smash mouth, and two spread teams. Northwestern and Purdue. But they weren't spread option, they just had 4 receiver sets because they didn't have the OL to match the DL/LB of the big boys. Read option changed things and almost all of the Big Ten save UW, MSU, and Iowa has run a spread offense of some variation. Even OSU runs 4 receiver sets out of shotgun on a regular basis, but they can still line it up and smash it if need be.
    RIP Cammy

Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Seeing as how Dick rod didn't even coach UM last year, I am not sure how much you are paying attention.

The Big Ten used to have a lot of smash mouth, and two spread teams. Northwestern and Purdue. But they weren't spread option, they just had 4 receiver sets because they didn't have the OL to match the DL/LB of the big boys. Read option changed things and almost all of the Big Ten save UW, MSU, and Iowa has run a spread offense of some variation. Even OSU runs 4 receiver sets out of shotgun on a regular basis, but they can still line it up and smash it if need be.
    Wow, I completely forgot about Rich Rod not being at UM anymore. Ive been so busy lately Im out of it. Working at a new job as well as a side solo hustle working for myself. Anyways, Hoke will bring back the more smash mouth style in time. Although youre right, more and more the Big Ten is using spread formations.
    RIP Cammy youll be missed bro

Quote Originally Posted by ACIDBATHBELFORT View Post
    Wow, I completely forgot about Rich Rod not being at UM anymore. Ive been so busy lately Im out of it. Working at a new job as well as a side solo hustle working for myself. Anyways, Hoke will bring back the more smash mouth style in time. Although youre right, more and more the Big Ten is using spread formations.
    I'll be honest. I don't think it jives well in Big Ten country. I think its the reason the Big Ten isn't as good as it was in the 90s. You need to play a style you can recruit. Ohio and Pennsylvania have pretty talented HS programs to run whatever they need, plus those two programs can go nationally to a degree. Minnesota was an ok program that ran power football, went to spread and went to crap. Michy went to spread, and went to crap. Illinois had one good season with spread, but were otherwise unremarkable going to the spread. Indiana will always suck. MSU and UW stuck with pro style, and are competing at the top of the conference now. It's a power football conference. The SEC seems to be moving away from spread. I've always hated the spread in all it variations. I get it if you are a small school and you have to spread it out to have a chance. But if you are michigan, you do what Michigan does and thats run the ball down your throats and play solid 4-3 defense.
    RIP Cammy

I'll be honest. I don't think it jives well in Big Ten country. I think its the reason the Big Ten isn't as good as it was in the 90s. You need to play a style you can recruit. Ohio and Pennsylvania have pretty talented HS programs to run whatever they need, plus those two programs can go nationally to a degree. Minnesota was an ok program that ran power football, went to spread and went to crap. Michy went to spread, and went to crap. Illinois had one good season with spread, but were otherwise unremarkable going to the spread. Indiana will always suck. MSU and UW stuck with pro style, and are competing at the top of the conference now. It's a power football conference. The SEC seems to be moving away from spread. I've always hated the spread in all it variations. I get it if you are a small school and you have to spread it out to have a chance. But if you are michigan, you do what Michigan does and thats run the ball down your throats and play solid 4-3 defense.
    I think you bring up a great point. Im all for not trying to keep up with the Jones's. Thats a great point about many Big Ten schools just not having the recruiting grounds in state, nor the national name to recruit the type of players to fit a more spread like attack. I think things are certainly cyclical. I think we will see spread formations, but they wont be as often nor prevalent as in the past. Last year LSU and Bama were the two top teams and both, in all honesty were old school Big Ten teams. LSU will sometimes go to a spread, but is mainly pound it down your throat football.

Anyways, OSU and PSU are really the only schools who have the state talent to consistently feed big time athletes for a spread like O. They and UM can bring in out of state talent. One thing Ive always respected about UW and Iowa is that they have stuck to their guns. Neither school has ever changed their style. Both bring in tough, hard nosed kids who develop over time. Every year you know UW will have a top 5 OL. UW doesnt try anything fancy, the coaches know what their players strengths are.

Honeslty, right now the south is just producing crazy talent. Kids that are just bigger, stronger, and faster. So its giving the SEC and to an extent the ACC a somewhat advantage. The ACC produces talent, their teams just dont win for whatever reason. You can look at it as the complete opposite in basketball. THe northern states produce far more talent in basketball. Outside of Kentucky and UF, SEC basketball sucks royally. Vandy and LSU will have scattered moments but never major players.

I get it if you are a small school and you have to spread it out to have a chance. But if you are michigan, you do what Michigan does and thats run the ball down your throats and play solid 4-3 defense.
    That's why Oklahoma State went to the spread when Gundy took over. We had Les Miles smashmouth run run run, play-action chuck it deep. But Gundy felt there are more skill players available in recruiting than there are giant offensive lineman with the ability to knock the NFL-ready DT's at ut and ou off the ball. But like you said, you don't need to spread it out of you're a school that can recruit the best athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
    That's why Oklahoma State went to the spread when Gundy took over. We had Les Miles smashmouth run run run, play-action chuck it deep. But Gundy felt there are more skill players available in recruiting than there are giant offensive lineman with the ability to knock the NFL-ready DT's at ut and ou off the ball. But like you said, you don't need to spread it out of you're a school that can recruit the best athletes.
    I was watching a show and they were talking about the great QBs and passing attacks of the Big 12. They were saying a huge part of it is becasue Texas and other Big 12 states have so many 7 on 7 leagues during the summer. So the QBs get a ton of extra reps, often times against very good competition. So they are more ready than kids from other areas. Texas is by far the biggest producer of talent for the Big 12 schools. Add to that as a whole the Big 12 is an offensive leauge, so unless you can recruit or coach up big time talent on D, you have to be able to score points. I think if a team went against the grain and recruited harder on D they would do really well in the Big 12.

In SEC land you just have so many huge, quick defensive lineman. Which is why you see so many great DLs on SEC schools. Our states dont seem regularly produce big time talent at QB. Its the OL and DLs down here. We also produce a lot of great DBs.

Another thing to consider is that when a school recruits a kid as an "athlete." The SEC schools focus more on D, so unless they are a real stand out on O, the schools are more likely to move them to the D. Where as in other conferences their focus is still on O, so they are more likely to move them there.

How freakin retarded is this? LSU offered a scholarship to a kid in 7th grade.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...rs-scholarship

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by tripwire View Post

Great comment on this story

The top prospect for the class of 2028 just committed to USC. He is 2'6", 38 pounds and threw a lego so hard at his sister that she cried.
    The kid is impressive for someone so young, but really...a 7th grader? That's a LONG time to go down hill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    Great comment on this story

The kid is impressive for someone so young, but really...a 7th grader? That's a LONG time to go down hill.
    Yea I coach youth football and parents with kids like this burn them out way before high school.

Quote Originally Posted by tripwire View Post

I find it hilarious that you are gonna call out a school considering how you constantly defended that scumbag Meyer.

I dont like it a bit. There is no need to offer a kid that young a scholarship no matter how talented.

I cant wait for the season to start. Im anticipating this year with a ton of enthusiasum. No JJ or Lee! Im really high on Zach Mettenberger. He is a legit passing threat with a very strong arm. He is decisive where he wants to go. We are gonna be a lil unproven at WR but Im confident our guys will step up. LSU will have the deepest stable of backs in the country. I think Hilliard will step up to be the top back. The kid is a beast. THe OL should be one of the best in the country.

Defense will once again be the calling card for LSU. The DL will be scary good. Could be one of the best weve fielded. Sam Mongomery and Keke Mingo will for the fastest DE tandem in the country. Freak Johnson and Bennie Logan are gonna control the middle. The LSU secondary will also be great once again this year.

A huge key for LSU is always special teams. LSU will have the best punter in the country in Wing.