Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.

View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?

Voters
33. Log in to vote on this poll
  • Romney

    5 15.15%
  • Obama

    12 36.36%
  • 3rd party

    9 27.27%
  • Not voting

    7 21.21%
Page 21 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 1671
  1. #201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by telerion View Post
    None of those arguments is at all persuasive. My understanding of the legal point here is that the government must have a compelling reason for treating homosexual differently than heterosexuals. There has to be a substantive state cause, otherwise it's discrimination.

    Reason 1: If the ability to create new taxpayers were the substantive cause, then the state should not recognize heterosexual marriages between infertile couples, including old people. The state however does recognize these marriages. If this condition is only applied to homosexual couples then it's discrimination.

    Reason 2: In any marriage there is thing or collection of things that that couple unique. This reason doesn't put forward any case for why homosexuality should disqualify a couple from being married. It just begs the question. Replace "homosexual" with "interracial" and the lack of substance should really jump out at you. (Plus it's the sort of statement that people in the 50's and 60's might actually have made against interracial marriage).

    Reason 3: This also isn't an argument against gay marriage specifically. It's an argument against all marriage. Since the state still recognizes heterosexual marriage, and there's no reason offered herein that explains why gay marriage should not also be recognized.

    Reason 4: This is argument is not only in compelling but it's also chauvinistic because it assumes that women don't own businesses. Does the state have a problem with mergers between men and women? Do we seen this abuse of marriage occurring now? At best this is an argument for reexamining business law as it relates to marriage.

    So while these four reasons are certainly secular, none of them addresses the central question, "What compelling, substantive reason does the state have for recognizing heterosexual marriages and not recognizing homosexual ones?"
    Well reasoned and well stated. [Doffs cap to telerion]

  2. #202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmose86 View Post
    You are right, let's not go down that road. However, I will say that nothing would be more awesome than for you to have a gay son.
    Not possible.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  3. #203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KnockOut View Post
    Not possible.
    Okay, I'll bite.......why is it not possible?

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    64,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo08 View Post
    Okay, I'll bite.......why is it not possible?
    Because its inconceivable!


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbear View Post
    Because its inconceivable!

    Priceless!

  6. #206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbear View Post
    Because its inconceivable!

    It took me a minute. Then I got it. Then I laughed.

    Well played, sir.

  7. #207

    Default

    Well, in an update Mitt Romney has officially gotten enough votes to become the Republican nominee in this years election. So who are you voting for or are you even voting? I am not going to vote. Truth is I have never voted and am not even registered to vote. Say what you will but even if I could vote I wouldn't go out and vote for either guy.

  8. #208

    Default

    Not voting means not caring about the outcome at all, in my opinion. I've voted myself in as a write in just to protest how idiotic our choices can be for Prez.

    I have not determined who I will vote for, but I know I will NOT be voting for the idiot in office right now. I know he's just hoping somehow the economy turns around on a dime and he has something to base his re-election campaign on, but he really has nothing (and if the SCOTUS overturns the health care law, he'll have even less).

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  9. #209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin View Post
    Not voting means not caring about the outcome at all, in my opinion. I've voted myself in as a write in just to protest how idiotic our choices can be for Prez.

    I have not determined who I will vote for, but I know I will NOT be voting for the idiot in office right now. I know he's just hoping somehow the economy turns around on a dime and he has something to base his re-election campaign on, but he really has nothing (and if the SCOTUS overturns the health care law, he'll have even less).
    So you voted for yourself knowing you would never be elected? Then you say that what I do means not caring at all? That makes no sense. Your vote made the exact same impact as mine did. The outcome means nothing if you don't change the system on which the outcome is based on. That means as long as we have the same monetary system nothing will ever truly change. The power is in the money. You know it and we all know it.

    Obama's term has been bad but there's no way you can say Romney's will be any better if he wins. While I will give Obama plenty of blame people (especially right wing press) forget he inherited a sunken ship. The whole economic meltdown gained major attention during the Bush presidency. Say what you will but there's no way you have 2 wars, a worldwide economic crisis, high unemployment, and a system like Capitalism and expect to be dug out of the hole in 4 years time.

  10. #210

    Default

    You vote for who you believe the best candidate is, don't you? If I believe myself better than any other candidate given to me, and I don't know of any others who may be worthy of a vote (protest type vote or not), how is it a wasted vote? Obama lost over 40% of the vote to a convicted felon in West Virginia in their Democratic primary. That's people speaking up against him en masse. However, if nobody votes at all (or, as in some countries, nobody can vote at all), you can be damn sure the masses will be taken advantage of by those in power.

    Furthermore, you seem to have the illusion that voting for President is the only thing on the ballots when you go in to vote. By not registering to vote, you cannot vote on how your tax dollars are spent, what bonds are approved at the state level, and other various propositions that may or may not affect your bottom line in terms of taxation, quality of life, healthcare, pensions, freedoms, etc. Hell, you can't even vote on who your local school board superintendents will be. You are effectively giving up any say in all matters government...federal, state, city, and county, and matters in which the government may intrude upon your personal life.

    Obama inherited a sinking ship and our economy was going down the toilet. So....instead of working on the economy as a priority in his first year, he uses his political goodwill and concentrates on ramming through the health care law. WTF?? Not only did he have a tough time doing so even with a Democratic congress, the law is a convoluted mess being reviewed by the SCOTUS now, and projected costs are rising from the original estimate (surprise!!). Our deficit has ballooned, he "ended" the war in Iraq as promised but just shifted troops to Afghanistan, didn't close Gitmo, all he does is blame Bush for everything, and his administration only makes excuses for why he has not lived up to his promised milestones. I can't say Romney's (or anyone else's term) would be better if they win, but it sure as hell can't be much worse.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •