Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gary Goodridge's brain is mashed

One of Pride's old-timers is feeling the effects of taking too many shots to the noggin. Sad.
    But this is mmafighting.net, dammit, so I want to know who you expect to wind up in the same boat someday.
    I would say Forrest Griffin has a good chance.
    Tank Abbott is probably on his way.
    Who else?

Gary Goodridge diagnosed with early onset CTE/Pugilistic Dementia

Former PRIDE FC and K-1 star Gary Goodridge may no longer be competing in mixed martial arts, but that doesn't mean the 46-year-old bruiser isn't still fighting on a daily basis. His new opponents?

Slurred speech and prescription pain killers.

Indeed, according to a report from MMAWeekly.com, Goodridge was recently diagnosed with early onset CTE/pugilistic dementia stemming from his long career of taking shots to the head both inside the ring and outside it during training and various sparring sessions.

Between MMA and kickboxing, Goodridge has amassed a staggering 80+ fights to his name since 1996. Unfortunately his career ended in a serious decline, as the Canadian was forced into retirement following seven consecutive losses dating back to March 2007.

But despite his sickness and declining health, he doesn't regret a single second of it.

Star-divide

"I have no regrets. I love the way I live my life, I mean I would like to make little changes, but no, I have no regrets. I loved the way my life was, I lived a good life, and I'm happy with what I did."

As surprising as that may be, it's perhaps even more surprising that Goodridge doesn't actually blame MMA for his troubles. Actually, he says K-1 is the main culprit for his condition.

"I would like to share with people, but I think most of my damage came from K-1. MMA really wasn't an issue because there's hardly any shots to the head. 90-percent of my injuries came from K-1, where there's nothing but head trauma, head injuries over and over again."

Goodridge, regrettably, may not have found himself in a unique situation.

Brain injuries stemming from repeated head trauma have been receiving more attention as the sport of MMA continues its global expansion, even prompting some fans to disassociate themselves with the sport.

Because MMA is evolving so rapidly and fans (and the medical community) are still running to catch up, it may take several years for damage incurred today to show its lasting effects and long-term consequences.

Does anyone else notice a difference in behavior/speech pattern in Chuck Liddell, Phil Baroni and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira? And do we have a responsibility to act on it?

Gary may not blame MMA and it may, in fact, be safer than K-1, seeing as the focus isn't completely on repeated trauma to the head. But there's no doubt the sport is dangerous for those who choose to partake in it.

There are no clear-cut answers, but as Goodridge has shown, it may get worse before it gets better.

Thoughts?

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/2/14/27...ntia#storyjump

Dude that's Sucks!!!

I don't have any suggestions of what can be done to help prevent this sort of thing in the future. I do know that Athletic commissions routinely require brain scans and assess fighters injuries and issue medical suspensions.

It's been known for a long time that Gary had brain trauma. He may not have been diagnosed, but it has been obvious for years. As he pointed out, it came mostly from K-1 where the Japanese would bring him in over and over to take a severe beating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Not sure MMA is the sole culprit here. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogWrestler View Post
    Not sure MMA is the sole culprit here. Just sayin'
    Of course it's not the sole culprit, but any sport that allows head trauma is, obviously, not good for the health of your head.

I blame the steady diet of ketchup chips.
    If I had to pick a fighter to suffer later on in life,Wanderlei,Scott smith and Marcus Davis would be up there.

Sean is probably right. Chxck is already slurring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Repent Ash, repent!

Yeah, Forrest is in a pretty different camp. He's got a few losses and been hit in the noggin a few times but he's got relatively few fights even in just MMA, let alone Kick Boxing. He's probably going to retire soon, not 'cause he can't fight, just because he seems to sort of be over it. I'd be surprised if he goes past 35 career fights, and would expect him to land around the 30-33ish fight mark. I'd also expect he fought outside of career fighting far less than Goodridge. Goodridge was KOd 24 times and Griffin's at 5. Plus Forrest seems to be really clean cut whereas Gary not so much.

I'm not too worried about Griffin losing his mind in that sense.

In the snapping and going on a kill crazy gun toting rampage sense - yeah, that could happen to Forrest.

Quote Originally Posted by seansloan View Post
    I blame the steady diet of ketchup chips.
    If I had to pick a fighter to suffer later on in life,Wanderlei,Scott smith and Marcus Davis would be up there.
    Scott Smith, definitely a candidate. I wonder about Roy Nelson too. If he keeps taking beatings like he has in his past few fights then he's on the same path.

Did anyone even read the article? Guy admits it was his K-1 fights that did it. And yeah, I've definitely noticed a change in him the past several years. Most notably he went from a nice, well-spoken guy to an asshole that can barely put a sentence together.
    アッシュ

Originally Posted by Cbear
    Enter the Bear. Game over.