Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dana says all main events (even FX and Fuel TV) will be 5 round fights

After Sanchez/Ellenberger, White say's he "blew it" and fight should have been five rounder, and in future all TV main events will be!
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/27445/afte...ive-rounds.mma
    After UFC on FUEL TV 1 classic, White says all future main events five rounds
    by John Morgan on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:50 am ET

OMAHA, Neb. – If you were left begging for two more rounds after Jake Ellenberger's thrilling three-round victory over Diego Sanchez, you weren't alone.

Following Wednesday's UFC on FUEL TV 1 event in Omaha, Neb., UFC president Dana White admitted he "blew it," and all future main events will feature five rounds.

"Already thought and done," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I'm actually pissed at myself about it, so yeah."

The UFC first implemented five-round non-title fights this past June.

"From this day forward, as we speak right here, right now today, every fight that is a main event that is not a title fight will be a five-round fight," White said following a UFC 131 pre-fight press conference.

However, when the UFC later signed a multi-year deal with the FOX family of networks, it turned out the new change only applied to pay-per-view and FOX-aired contests, leaving FX and FUEL TV with three-round main events.

No longer, said White.

"I can do 33 rounds on FUEL TV if I want to," White said. "FUEL TV can't get enough.

"We blew it tonight. It should have been a five-round fight."

Many MMA fans and pundits felt the same after Sanchez called up third-round heroics, blasting Ellenberger on the feet and nearly scoring a finish on the floor. However, Sanchez had clearly dropped the opening two rounds and was forced to settle for a unanimous-decision loss.

With the tide turned, Sanchez simply ran out of time, and many observers believe an additional 10 minutes could have changed the course of the fight.

There are a few notable exceptions to the new policy: The Thiago Alves vs. Martin Kampmann headliner of UFC on FX 2 and the Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Alexander Gustafsson main event at UFC on FUEL TV 2 will remain three-round affairs. With bout agreements already in place, White said it wouldn't make sense to try and change the terms of the contracts.
    similar article from mmaweekly...http://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-...ds-from-now-on
    Dana White Says All Main Events Will Be Five Rounds From Now On

Posted on February 16, 2012 by MMAWeekly.com Staff

(great pic Dana)
    “We blew it.”

It was as simple as that according to UFC president Dana White, who said after an exciting three-round war between Jake Ellenberger and Diego Sanchez, that it should have been a five-round fight.

The UFC changed the policy on non-title main events in 2011 so all of them would be five rounds.

That was until the new deal with Fox was struck and the main events for the shows on FX and Fuel would fall under the old rules of a three-round main event.

The first UFC on FX main event between Jim Miller and Melvin Guillard was also scheduled as a three-round fight, but it didn’t make it out of the first.

What resulted on Wednesday night between Jake Ellenberger and Diego Sanchez was a back-and-forth battle that could have absolutely gone on longer than the 15 minutes allotted. After Ellenberger took the first two rounds, Sanchez came storming back in the third, taking his opponent’s back and firing away with big shots trying to get the finish. The fight ended before Sanchez could put Ellenberger away, but there’s no denying the swing in momentum.

Unfortunately the end of the third round was also the end of the fight.

White now says after learning from this mistake that all future main events will be five rounds, regardless of being on FX, Fuel, Fox, or pay-per-view.

The next scheduled show on FX is on March 3 with the main event pitting Thiago Alves against Martin Kampmann, but with bout agreements already in place and the fight being only two weeks away, it will remain a three-round fight.

White also stated that the upcoming UFC on Fuel TV 2 main event between Alexander Gustafsson and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira would remain a three-round fight, again because bout agreements have already been issued and signed for that fight.
    Last edited by dcapps953; 02-16-2012 at 02:11 AM.

I like it.
    アッシュ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Cbear
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Enter the Bear. Game over.

I wish Rashad/Davis was 3 rounds. Just think if Weidman/Maia was a main event on a Fuel card. Some times it works out...some times it doesn't!

I love it, but they should really take every effort to only make main events consisting of 2 guys with proven cardio and who set a good pace.

Actually, as long as one of the two guys has proven cardio and a killer instinct (such as last night, where you KNOW Diego will keep going no matter what and it's up to Ellenberger to prove he can either finish early or keep going for 5), then I think you're set.

Just don't put guys in the main event for name value alone, anymore. At least one of them has to be someone who absolutely will not gas. Kampmann-Alves would be awesome at 5 rounds. Nog-Gustaffson... ehhh, you don't really know on that one.

No heavyweight main events that don't feature either Cain or JDS.

I had no idea that they weren't all 5 rounders now.
    When Ellenberger took threw his mouthpiece at the end of the 3rd, I was confused as hell.

Good news. Too bad it wasn't last night.

I'd sit through 10 miller/shields 5 rounders for 1 edgar/maynard or Cerrone/Henderson

Ugh, Miller/Shields.... I'm not sure who I should blame more for that fight, Shields for being a blanket, or Miller for having the takedown defense of the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz, pre-oiling.
    アッシュ

Dana:
    "I can do 33 rounds on FUEL TV if I want to," White said. "FUEL TV can't get enough.
    I am glad the new TV partners(especially Fuel TV) are happy with having the UFC. 33 rounds would be a little too much though.

Kind of a drag that Nogueira/Gustafsson and Alves/Kampmann won't be 5 rounds. I'd bet if you asked all 4 guys to do the extra 2 rounds they'd do it without hesitation. Well.... maybe not Alves, now that I think about it.
    アッシュ

I think it's worth it for most fights, but there will be duds, as you guys have alluded to.

Doesn't matter for Jon Jones fights, though. He's finishing opponents within three rounds anyway.