Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon
    [edit]Preliminary card (FX)
    Lightweight bout: Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
    Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Vaughan Lee
    Middleweight bout: Riki Fukuda vs. Steve Cantwell
    Bantamweight bout: Takeya Mizugaki vs. Chris Cariaso
    [edit]Preliminary card (Facebook)
    Featherweight bout: Zhang Tiequan vs. Issei Tamura

Akiyama by TKO. I think Akiyama can keep it on the feet long enough to drop Shields.

Also, I am almost certainly wrong here. Screw it. War Akiyama!

END COMMUNICATION

Shields by smothering decision. He might actually have a few fans in this one since sexy isn't exactly a huge favorite in Japan, but he might actually squeeze a few boos out of he crowd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I got Shields winning here followed by a quick pink slip for Akiyama. If there was ever someone who needed a win it's Akiyama. If he can't beat Shields why keep him?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Jeff View Post
    I got Shields winning here followed by a quick pink slip for Akiyama. If there was ever someone who needed a win it's Akiyama. If he can't beat Shields why keep him?
    I think that is a bit misleading. I think if he can't beat Leben is much more of a knock against him. Despite people really disliking Shields, he's still a top 5-6 WW. The guy is boring as ****, but he's only lost to GSP and Ellenberger under pretty tough circumstances. We've also seen how good ellenberger really is. If Akiyama loses, he needs to be cut because he has a terrible UFC record, or he needs to have his contract restructured so that he is being paid less so that the UFC can feel comfortable giving him middle of the road WWs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallica1981 View Post
    I think that is a bit misleading. I think if he can't beat Leben is much more of a knock against him. Despite people really disliking Shields, he's still a top 5-6 WW. The guy is boring as ****, but he's only lost to GSP and Ellenberger under pretty tough circumstances. We've also seen how good ellenberger really is. If Akiyama loses, he needs to be cut because he has a terrible UFC record, or he needs to have his contract restructured so that he is being paid less so that the UFC can feel comfortable giving him middle of the road WWs.
    He arguably lost against Kampmann (I had Kampmann beating Shields). I can understand losing to GSP in your second fight in the UFC but if Shields loses to Akiyama, who has beat nobody in the UFC, what chance does he have against anyone remotely viable in the WW division? You think by losing to Akiyama he should stay around and fight who: Sanchez, Fitch, Alves, Hardy? All of his fights have been boring where it's only fun to see him get beat and we already have that position filled in the UFC by Fitch.

He arguably lost against Kampmann (I had Kampmann beating Shields). I can understand losing to GSP in your second fight in the UFC but if Shields loses to Akiyama, who has beat nobody in the UFC, what chance does he have against anyone remotely viable in the WW division? You think by losing to Akiyama he should stay around and fight who: Sanchez, Fitch, Alves, Hardy? All of his fights have been boring where it's only fun to see him get beat and we already have that position filled in the UFC by Fitch.
    If shields can't beat Akiyama is a lot different than asking what if Akiyama can't beat shields. Shields losing to Akiyama would definitely show that he has been overrated a great deal. Akiyama losing to Shields would just show more of what we already knew, that being Akiyama isn't in the upper level of the division.

However, I would say yes to your hypothetical of shields sticking around to fight alves, Sanchez, etc. Those are all competitve and good matchups. I agree he isnt a lot of fun to watch, but that doesn't mean he should be cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallica1981 View Post
    If shields can't beat Akiyama is a lot different than asking what if Akiyama can't beat shields. Shields losing to Akiyama would definitely show that he has been overrated a great deal. Akiyama losing to Shields would just show more of what we already knew, that being Akiyama isn't in the upper level of the division.

However, I would say yes to your hypothetical of shields sticking around to fight alves, Sanchez, etc. Those are all competitve and good matchups. I agree he isnt a lot of fun to watch, but that doesn't mean he should be cut.
    There is more of an upside for Akiyama as you stated but with the huge downside of Shields losing to Akiyama you can't honestly think he will be a challenge for remotely anyone in the WW division? I'll even excuse his loss to Ellenberger because his dad died and because of how good Ellenberger is, but a loss to Akiyama, who you admit is frankly awful, tells me he may not be UFC material.

Shields submits Sexyama then yama get the deavors.

There is more of an upside for Akiyama as you stated but with the huge downside of Shields losing to Akiyama you can't honestly think he will be a challenge for remotely anyone in the WW division? I'll even excuse his loss to Ellenberger because his dad died and because of how good Ellenberger is, but a loss to Akiyama, who you admit is frankly awful, tells me he may not be UFC material.
    I think both guys fall into a similar but different place. I think both are actually better than they are perceived by the general public, and I think both are UFC worthy. I think Akiyama is far from awful, but also feel like he has been matched very poorly in his UFC run. The guy literally gets a tougher opponent after each loss. The only bad loss he has is leben in a very close and fun fight, and to be honest, when leben is motivated and not "off the wagon" he is a pretty tough matchup. He should have had a shot at legionairious or someone like that after the leben loss, not bisping (step up) and then belfort (bigger step up). Problem is when guys come in with a big salary and high expectations, they are forced into big fights.

Shields is just a guy who had most of his success outside of Zuffa, therefore is a guy whos accomplishments aren't recognized despite many wins over UFC mainstays.

I guess I would say Shields has top 5-7 potential, which he has reached, and Akiyama has top 8-12 potential which he hasn't been really allowed to prove it. Both are UFC worthy imo.