Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Str8Ryt View Post
    Soccer also has the highest rate of people just up and dropping dead mid game. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple guys just fall down and die after running around on that continent sized field.

lol yeah...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holy ****, soccer looks super dangerous. The gifs that flarg posted clearly show players being shot by snipers in the crowd.

It's either snipers or those players are awful excuses for humans, cheating and being unsportsmanlike.

I don't see the big deal with this. He was just stating his opinion. Though its more he doesn't like the sport than whether talented or not. Big deal, people try to make something out of nothing too much of the time. If he was the comissioner of world cup (or whatever the title is) than this would be big news.

Quote Originally Posted by fightfan10 View Post
    Holy ****, soccer looks super dangerous. The gifs that flarg posted clearly show players being shot by snipers in the crowd.

It's either snipers or those players are awful excuses for humans, cheating and being unsportsmanlike.
    Second that! I can't imagine what type of real competitive athlete it takes to actually have the thought during a game "hey there's a guy behind me i'm going to pretend to fall". And the argument can be made that similar things happen in a lot of sports but that is usually just someone trying to take advantage of a situation.
    Like a fighter claiming a low blow when it wasn't is brought on by sheer desperation. You're not thinking clearly because your adrenaline is racing, some guy is trying to take your head off, and your losing a fight infront of tens of thousands of people where the responsibility is solely on your shoulders. You've trained months for this one opportunity and you'll try anything to be successful in the heat of the moment.
    Soccer players do this pussy Sh*t with a clear head in any random game where they are guaranteed 10 million a year regardless. I'm generalizing but still valid.

Quote Originally Posted by tantryl View Post
    He was one of the best though. He's 37 now. From around about 1995-2005 he was certainly considered one of the best.
    By who? You could go through every one of his seasons and pick at least 4 or 5 players better than him on his own team. With the exception of his time in MLS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieMCFC View Post
    By who? You could go through every one of his seasons and pick at least 4 or 5 players better than him on his own team. With the exception of his time in MLS.
    Seriously? He was twice runner up FIFA World Player of the Year.

From wiki:

* Premier League Player of the Month (1): August 1996
    * PFA Young Player of the Year (1): 1996–97
    * FWA Tribute Award: 2008
    * Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year (1): 1996–97
    * UEFA Club Footballer of the Year (1): 1998–99
    * UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year (1): 1998–99
    * Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2001–02): Domestic & Overall Team of the Decade
    * Goal of the Decade (vs. Wimbledon, 17 August 1996)
    * FIFA 100
    * ESPY Award – Best Male Soccer Player: 2004
    * ESPY Award – Best MLS Player: 2008
    * English Football Hall of Fame: 2008
    * BBC Sports Personality of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award (1): 2010
    * MLS Comeback Player of the Year Award (1): 2011
    * Major League Soccer Best XI: 2011
    * England Player of the Year: 2003
    * Gold Blue Peter Badge winner, 2001

I mean, come on! England Player of the Year!

You can dislike him all you want, but pretending no-one thought he was any good is just silly.

And you're again ignoring the point of all that - that soccer players aren't generally considered the creative & intelligent type.

*EDIT* I've also noticed if you google "best english football players all time" Beckham is on most of the lists.
    Last edited by tantryl; 03-25-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Time to move this out of the mma forum

Sinners repent!

Quote Originally Posted by tantryl View Post
    * Premier League Player of the Month (1): August 1996
    * PFA Young Player of the Year (1): 199697
    * UEFA Club Footballer of the Year (1): 199899
    * UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year (1): 199899
    * FIFA 100
    So when you take out most of the crap out of that list. You are seriously going to include awards that are voted on by United fans or can only go to United players. Also The England award goes to the best player on the England national team. He won it a year when they only played in qualifiers and friendlies. If you look at England's history over last 20 years or so. Great in qualifiers and friendlies and chokes when it comes to tournaments. As far as the FIFA 100 goes that was one of the most debated lists with who was included and who was left off.

Yeah, I get that you don't think he's any good, but you've got to be kidding if you're willing to say no-one (you'd even be stretching it to say only a minority) thought he was one of the best.

Goal of the year

Watch the vid on this one (I can't get a link to just the vid). The ball stays in the air for about 75 yards before Crouch volleys it into the back corner of the net just out of the reach of the goalie. I am not going to even attempt to justify or explain the diving in the sport which is disgusting, but you really have to appreciate the skill it takes to accomplish something like this.