Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.

Default Why is "Live" such a big deal for this seasons TUF?

We’re three episodes in and I’ve PVR’d (or DVR’d to my American friends) all three episodes. Granted that the “live” aspect of watching any sport is part of the excitement… but when you are watching it recorded, that’s kind of lost.

I don’t know the numbers, but I have to assume that the penetration of PVRs in households today is pretty high and it is certainly growing. So why then do you think the UFC decided to go “live” with this season of TUF? I just don’t see what the real advantage is for me from watching a “live” version (even if its a PVR’d version) vs. a previously taped version. The season in the house is still taped, so that’s the same as it always has been. The fights are “live”, but it really didn’t appear that there was much editing going on during the fights in previous seasons anyway. The only difference I see now is that the production quality of the show has gone to absolute ****.

I just don’t see it. Live or not live, I’m still watching TUF. I just don’t see why the UFC is spending the money on making this live when there’s no real benefit to consumers.

I’m interested in seeing what others think.

It's like any sport. It is just more exciting seeing it live on TV, knowing that "anything can happen", rather than watching it on tape delay or DVR'd the next day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    It's like any sport. It is just more exciting seeing it live on TV, knowing that "anything can happen", rather than watching it on tape delay or DVR'd the next day.
    Ya this is definitely true. You can choose to DVR it, but that's the same with any live sporting event. One important thing which the UFC top brass hasn't mentioned but I'm sure was a deciding factor for the FOX execs is AD revenue. Lets face it FX (which is the US channel it airs on) is in the business of selling ad space, and live television ad spots cost a lot more for exactly the reason that less people will DVR it and have ability to fast forward commercials.

An example of this is that Sunday night football on NBC is the most expensive US commercial time (In terms weekly shows excluding special TV events) even though it gets like 10 million less viewers then American Idol sometimes. So I wouldn't be surprised if even though TUF viewers are slightly lower since the move from Spike the ad revenue is greater. Plus the TUF live format is also a way to bring hype to the first season on a new network as opposed to just saying tune in the same old show just a different channel.

Lastly, I'm sure this wasn't a deciding factor for the UFC or FX, but the live format allows for betting on fights in vegas and wherever else which adds to the buzz surrounding the show for that audience.

Well the biggest thing is, its a change from the same old same old. Big selling point for people who have stopped watching. And its easy to promote the "Live" thing as they do with the annoyind corner icon, and anytime they talk about it. As far as actual advantages being that this is live, it won't be in that can, with the two winners having to wait for the season to end to actually have the Finals fight.

I still have yet to decide what I think of this season. As far as ratings (which I rarely ever care about) i think it would be hard to compare this season to previous SPIKE seasons, cause of it now being on Friday night. Friday night is not a good tv night, so if the numbers a not that much less i would say its a win.

One thing that always bugged me is that you knew how long fights were going to be for every other season due to how much time was left until the end of the show. Also in the back of my head I always felt that the episodes were edited to make a coach, a fighter, or Dana look like geniuses by having them call a fight correctly before it started. The Live fight to me is pretty important and I appreciate it much more than the previous seasons.
    Have you tried NOT being a mutant?
    *Iceman's parents in XMen 2*

Quote Originally Posted by PITTFOX View Post
    One thing that always bugged me is that you knew how long fights were going to be for every other season due to how much time was left until the end of the show. Also in the back of my head I always felt that the episodes were edited to make a coach, a fighter, or Dana look like geniuses by having them call a fight correctly before it started. The Live fight to me is pretty important and I appreciate it much more than the previous seasons.
    ^^^This! Every single point you made is how I feel.

Funny enough, there was coincidental foreshadowing last week when Faber said to Marcelo, "you'll beat him as long as you keep your chin down".
    Well, of course he screamed at him the entire fight about his chin, as Marcelo preferred to look at the ceiling all fight, and we all know what happened.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.