Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,623

    Default I hate wristlocks!

    While rolling one evening with a new person of about the same skill level, I got hit with a nasty little wristlock. I was in his closed guard, and he kept repeating the same sequence. First, he'd pull the wristlock against his belly. Then when I turned my wrist over to avoid it, he'd try to arm drag. When I put my hand back to stop the drag, he'd wrist lock. After about seven iterations without success (and me having no success passing), he caught the wristlock. I think because he had missed it so many times, he went extra hard/fast to finish. Even though I verbally tapped in less than a second, my wrist has been hurting for almost a month. Clearly, I needed to reconsider my hand placement in the closed guard, and I got coaching on that. But now I can't do pushups or even lift a milk jug without considerable pain. I've tapped to wrist locks before, but I've never had prolonged injury. How long does it take for this **** to go away? It's screwing with my lifting!

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by telerion View Post
    While rolling one evening with a new person of about the same skill level, I got hit with a nasty little wristlock. I was in his closed guard, and he kept repeating the same sequence. First, he'd pull the wristlock against his belly. Then when I turned my wrist over to avoid it, he'd try to arm drag. When I put my hand back to stop the drag, he'd wrist lock. After about seven iterations without success (and me having no success passing), he caught the wristlock. I think because he had missed it so many times, he went extra hard/fast to finish. Even though I verbally tapped in less than a second, my wrist has been hurting for almost a month. Clearly, I needed to reconsider my hand placement in the closed guard, and I got coaching on that. But now I can't do pushups or even lift a milk jug without considerable pain. I've tapped to wrist locks before, but I've never had prolonged injury. How long does it take for this **** to go away? It's screwing with my lifting!
    I've had a couple wrist injuries due to lifting, and I can't tell you the only way that it's going to start feeling better is with some physiotherapy or some visits to a chiropractor.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    @jedigavin

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by telerion View Post
    While rolling one evening with a new person of about the same skill level, I got hit with a nasty little wristlock. I was in his closed guard, and he kept repeating the same sequence. First, he'd pull the wristlock against his belly. Then when I turned my wrist over to avoid it, he'd try to arm drag. When I put my hand back to stop the drag, he'd wrist lock. After about seven iterations without success (and me having no success passing), he caught the wristlock. I think because he had missed it so many times, he went extra hard/fast to finish. Even though I verbally tapped in less than a second, my wrist has been hurting for almost a month. Clearly, I needed to reconsider my hand placement in the closed guard, and I got coaching on that. But now I can't do pushups or even lift a milk jug without considerable pain. I've tapped to wrist locks before, but I've never had prolonged injury. How long does it take for this **** to go away? It's screwing with my lifting!
    It is impossible to tell how long it will take over the internets. Does it hurt in certain motions? Only when there is some sort of resistance? Any particular "spot" if you press on it, hurts more than the rest of the wrist? I work in physical therapy, so if you were here I would have a good idea of what is wrong, but there are a lot of tendons and a crap ton of ligaments in the wrist.
    RIP Cammy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default 2011 ADCC Colored Brackets (1998-2011)

    I hate wrist locks thanx to a poxy wrist lock I wont be on the mats for at least 2 weeks depending.



    Homes for sale Portland Oregon

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    It is impossible to tell how long it will take over the internets. Does it hurt in certain motions? Only when there is some sort of resistance? Any particular "spot" if you press on it, hurts more than the rest of the wrist? I work in physical therapy, so if you were here I would have a good idea of what is wrong, but there are a lot of tendons and a crap ton of ligaments in the wrist.
    Sorry for not getting back to you. Well, it still gives me trouble though it hasn't stopped me from rolling. I'm just careful with that hand. After a few days the pain localized. If turn my palm up, the area is just where the wrist and hand meet on the thumb side. It does hurt if I press into it. I've noticed some improvement. For the first couple weeks I couldn't lift more than a pound or two or push doors with that hand. Now I'm ok with a milk jug or heavy door if I assist a little with the other hand. No push ups though. Can't even do one.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanncy11 View Post
    I hate wrist locks thanx to a poxy wrist lock I wont be on the mats for at least 2 weeks depending.

    Homes for sale Portland Oregon
    Bummer. Yours may be worse than mine was, but I was able to roll immediately though obviously I had to modify some things. I definitely respect that lock a lot more now!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by telerion View Post
    Sorry for not getting back to you. Well, it still gives me trouble though it hasn't stopped me from rolling. I'm just careful with that hand. After a few days the pain localized. If turn my palm up, the area is just where the wrist and hand meet on the thumb side. It does hurt if I press into it. I've noticed some improvement. For the first couple weeks I couldn't lift more than a pound or two or push doors with that hand. Now I'm ok with a milk jug or heavy door if I assist a little with the other hand. No push ups though. Can't even do one.
    It's possible you may have fractured a carpal bone. It seems like what you are describing, it's in the area of the scaphoid bone in you wrist. Now there are a ton of ligaments running in that area too, so it could be a sprain on one of those. Impossible to diagnose over the internet. I don't know if there is much to do about it either. There may be surgeries to repair that, but I've not rehabbed anyone with one so I can't say for sure.
    RIP Cammy

  8. #8

    Default

    Got caught in my first wrist lock yesterday. Unlike Telerion, I didn't even attempt to defend. I always tap quickly to a hold I don't recognize. Better to take the time and learn it later than to experiment with escapes during sparring. Just one more thing to look out for when doing BJJ, I guess.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo08 View Post
    Got caught in my first wrist lock yesterday. Unlike Telerion, I didn't even attempt to defend. I always tap quickly to a hold I don't recognize. Better to take the time and learn it later than to experiment with escapes during sparring. Just one more thing to look out for when doing BJJ, I guess.
    That's the smart thing to do. My wrist is a lot better, but even still there are certain movements that are painful.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by telerion View Post
    That's the smart thing to do. My wrist is a lot better, but even still there are certain movements that are painful.
    After this long without full healing, you may have cartilage damage or a bone spur

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •