Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Greezy View Post
    if you watch the program within 24 hours of recording it counts!
    When did that change happen? I know for the longest time it didn't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieMCFC View Post
    When did that change happen? I know for the longest time it didn't.
    not suppose to tell you this but i'm a nielson member. i've had it for almost three years! it ends in june and i get a fat check for 150.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Greezy View Post
    not suppose to tell you this but i'm a nielson member. i've had it for almost three years! it ends in june and i get a fat check for 150.00.
    When I use to work in advertising I know it wasn't part of the Nielsen's but that was 5 years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieMCFC View Post
    When I use to work in advertising I know it wasn't part of the Nielsen's but that was 5 years ago.
    that was one of the first questions i asked because i dvr all my shows while i'm at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbear View Post
    The biggest problem is that there is a culture change needed. There really arent mma fans at this point, there are UFC fans. When I point this out, some of you invariably point out that you watch every second of mma including shows in Slovenia documented on 8mm film delivered by passenger pigeon. And when I ask if you watched Bellator on free tv.....uh...well....no man...it was Friday...uh.... Then the next day they are avidly on the boards doing play by play on a UFC show.

Is mma really growing or is it only UFC-centric?
    I will admit I am a UFC fan primarily. Although, I have looked at Strikeforce a time or two, but it is still a Zuffa brand. Here's my take as far as Bellator goes and why I do not and have never watched it before, even though I am open to watching it.

1) Like many people in the year 2012. I do not rely primarily on television to view shows and hence I don't have cable, and if I don't watch an MMA event live there is little to no chance I will see it. The only time I went out my way to see an MMA fight after it aired was the Henderson/Rua fight last year.

2) Bellator, to me, needs a bigger star crossover name. As bad as this sounds it is like what TNA does. In order to increase their brand and viewers they bring in guys from the WWE and WCW. While I don't expect to see a GSP, Anderson Silva, or guys like that in Bellator ever I think there are a few good names they could get to increase viewership.

3) Let's face it. Bellator needs a stronger marketing department. You know the name but no fight, at least from what little I hear of Bellator seems like a big fight or a huge rivalry. I'm not expecting Sonnen/Silva or Jones/Evans type rivalry, but Bellator can at least get to a Cruz/Faber type rivalry.

4) Being on PPV gives the UFC more appeal because it adds more a big fight presence. When you think of big fights or important fights MTV 2 doesn't come to mind. Even after they move to Spike it will boost them in ratings but I still don't think it screams big money fight like UFC does.

It is growing though but I think UFC is the WWE of MMA. You know of other brands but UFC is the call most anyone wants and people will work the independent circuit just to get "the call".

I dont expect casual fans to go out of their way to watch a program but I would think that hard core netters would find a way to make time for a promotion that weekly puts on damn good fights but that just doesnt seem to be the case. As pointed out, most fans would rather see a boring match between "names" than a good match between non-names. Which means its all about star power, not sports, and is thus.......SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT!!!

Sinners repent!

Quote Originally Posted by Cbear View Post
    I dont expect casual fans to go out of their way to watch a program but I would think that hard core netters would find a way to make time for a promotion that weekly puts on damn good fights but that just doesnt seem to be the case. As pointed out, most fans would rather see a boring match between "names" than a good match between non-names. Which means its all about star power, not sports, and is thus.......SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT!!!
    Most fans like every sport want to see what is the major league, which in case of MMA is the UFC.

And guess what all sports is entertainment. Everysport you want to see the stars.

and to Jazzy Jeff as far as building rivalries (which i don't think is important anyway) can't be done in Bellator because of the tourny setup.

They need some big names to jump off the UFC boat while they are still credible (or at least credible in the eyes of those who don't follow the sport with as much zeal as the internet fans).

That is pretty much the only way imo. No matter what, the casual fan is going to think that anyone fighting and winning in Bellator or any other minor org is just doing well in the "minors". But if you get some big names from the UFC, and your home grown guys start beating them or doing well whilst the casual crowd still thinks they are relevant, suddenly that credibility rubs off on your own fighters and you have something to build with.

Its an uphill battle, and I have my doubts that anyone is going to come close to touching the UFC in terms of popularity or credibility amongst the casual fanbase barring a major collapse of MMA in NA.

I doubt that Bellator will ever become a mainstream success. As wK78 alluded to, most fans only pay attention to the major leagues. At some point I imagine that MMA promotions will be unified and regulated by a league, much like other major sports, but MMA is so young and so unique that it's really difficult to figure out the best way to promote it.

Now, as much as I doubt that Bellator will make it big, I really love its concept and execution. The athletic purity of the tournament format makes rivalries seem trivial. I know that tournaments are complicated in combat sports, but I really think that they are the way to go, because it's currently the only way for fighters and fans to have a solid gauge of fighter rank. Could you imagine if the MLB just picked teams for the World Series based on popularity or a marketable rivalry? How is it any less ridiculous to do so in MMA?

Quote Originally Posted by wK78 View Post
    Most fans like every sport want to see what is the major league, which in case of MMA is the UFC.

And guess what all sports is entertainment. Everysport you want to see the stars.

and to Jazzy Jeff as far as building rivalries (which i don't think is important anyway) can't be done in Bellator because of the tourny setup.
    Rivalries are important in most any competitive event. The tournament system, while different, leaves out a bit of excitement for a fight. This doesn't mean the fight can't be fantastic but rivalries draw people in. It adds a little more of that "it" factor that makes you want to watch a fight. The tourney system eliminates that, thus eliminating a good chance to draw in more casual fans and new business.