Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ben Henderson vs Frankie Edgar II at UFC 150 in August....Denver location

mmajunkie

Benson Henderson's first defense of the UFC lightweight belt is likely to take place in Denver.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with sources close to the event that Henderson and former champ Frankie Edgar have verbally agreed to meet at UFC 150, which is expected to take place on Aug. 11.

UFC officials have yet to make an official announcement regarding the event or the headliner. Contracts for the fight have yet to be distributed.

Denver's Pepsi Center may host UFC 150, but nothing has been finalized to date.

Edgar (14-2-1 MMA, 9-2-1 UFC), of course, surrendered the belt to Henderson (16-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC) at this past February's UFC 144 event.

UFC president Dana White initially encouraged Edgar to drop to 145 pounds and challenge UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo for the title. However, Edgar remained intent on fighting again for the lightweight belt, and a bit of fan lobbying and fighter encouragement eventually led White to change his mind and award a rematch to "The Answer."

Edgar is no stranger to rematches. Henderson marks the third-straight opponent that he's faced in two-consecutive fights after tussling with Gray Maynard and B.J. Penn twice each.

Meanwhile, former WEC champ Henderson looks to remain perfect under the UFC banner. "Smooth" was defeated by Anthony Pettis in the final WEC event but earned wins over Mark Bocek, Jim Miller and Clay Guida to earn his title shot before taking the decision win over Edgar.

Pettis was initially expected to get the next shot at Henderson after earning a knockout win over Joe Lauzon at UFC 144. Instead, he now waits on a new opponent.
    Andy Wang #1 P4P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dennis Hallman vs Thiago Tavares will also be on this card
    Andy Wang #1 P4P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Let's hope Joe Silva uses his head this time for Denver and doesnt put two heavyweight fights on the main card like last time i.e Mark Hunt-Rothwell and Browne vs whoever it was he fought
    Andy Wang #1 P4P

August? That's so far away.
    Was one of them injured?

mmajunkie said this in their ufc 144 medical suspensions article which was late Feb

Henderson, who defeated Frankie Edgar via decision to win the UFC lightweight title, is suspended 180 days due to possible hand and left-foot fractures. A doctor can clear him early, but regardless, he's suspended 45 days with no contact during training for 30 days for precautionary reasons.
    Andy Wang #1 P4P

Benderson via having personality.

I think Frankie Edgar is a great fighter, but I don't want him to be the champion. He doesn't dominate his opponents, he doesn't look for the finish and, as Spectre alluded to, he doesn't have an engaging personality.

Don't get me wrong, he's incredibly skilled and definitely in the top ten pound-for-pound fighters, if not top five. But if something exciting happened in one of his fights, it was probably Edgar getting rocked by his opponent. After his fights Edgar usually looks like he's been through hell and his opponents look completely fine. I just find it hard to get excited about his fighting style.

I gotta admit some hypocrisy here, since I am a fan of Dominick Cruz. To me, the difference is that Cruz presses the action and dominates his opponents, even if he can't finish them. I don't mind fighters who can't finish, as long as they're trying.

Luiz Cane vs Yushin Okami at UFC 150
    Andy Wang #1 P4P

eh. I guess so.

I'm expecting a repeat performance. Bendo wins a rather convincing decision. He just has a broader range of skills than Frankie, and equally as much heart and cardio.