Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I can also see a Shogun sub. His ground game is pretty underrated IMO

So pretty much Shogun however he wants.

I have not seen many of Shoguns fights, and what I have seen is only very recent and probably not his best work. I have only seen the Machida fights, the loss to Jon Jones, the rematch with Forrest, and the war with Dan Henderson at 139.

Shogun's submission game is good, though I would have to say it is reactive / defensive. Basically if Shogun is going for a submission, it usually means he is in the middle of a bad situation. It seems that he likes to try for a leg submission if he is down and his opponent is trying for ground and pound. I generally do not think too much of someone's submission skill set unless they are confident enough with it to use it to attack. To my mind a black belt who only has a few opportunistic Guillotine or Rear Naked Choke wins against semi concussed opponents is not as impressive as a fighter who can submit a fully aware and resisting opponent. I like that Shogun tries for the heel hooks and kneebars from the bottom. It is less obvious than going for an armbar or triangle from bottom and is less expected. But a quick look at Shoguns fight record shows only one submission win. I do not think Shogun is going to change up his game so much that he would attack for a sub rather then trying to devastate his opponent with striking.

I think that a healthy Shogun would win this fight easily enough, but right now I expect that Silva is a very dangerous opponent for Shogun.

END COMMUNICATION
    Last edited by LordZardoz; 05-01-2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Forgot about the rematch with Forrest Griffin.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrannor View Post
    I didn't read about the shoulder surgery to Machida, any articles you can point to?
    Maybe they will give him Rashad.
    here you go. I was wrong though and it was elbow not shoulder. So that isnt as bad

it was right after his Jones fight

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/01/0...out-chael-sonn
    Andy Wang #1 P4P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have not seen many of Shoguns fights, and what I have seen is only very recent and probably not his best work. I have onlys een the Machida fights, the loss to Jon Jones, and the war with Dan Henderson at 139.
    I don't wanna see your face until you correct this. You have a computer. Download a career torrent of his and enjoy a reign of terror. You'll be amazed how his game has changed and how less athletic he is. A young Shogun is a much greater threat to Jones due to speed and athleticism being as good or better.

Great fight and great matchmaking. Shogun took a lot of damage in the Hendo fight as did Thiago in his last fight so it will be interesting to see who comes into the fight in better shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmery Myers View Post
    I don't wanna see your face until you correct this. You have a computer. Download a career torrent of his and enjoy a reign of terror. You'll be amazed how his game has changed and how less athletic he is. A young Shogun is a much greater threat to Jones due to speed and athleticism being as good or better.
    I generally prefer to watch new fights rather than old fights, and I generally avoid trying to download illegally. I know in the abstract that Young Shogun was an unholy terror. Also, based on the fights I have seen, I know that his gameplan in a fight is to generally pressure an opponent with aggressive and technical striking. I do not in any way doubt your description of what he was not too long ago.

Personally, I think Shogun will get a win in this fight. I am afraid though that his reduced mobility from the knee damage will mean he eats alot more damage then he ought to here. Shogun probably has a good number of wars left in him, but he cannot keep taking the kind of damage he did against Jones or Henderson and remain healthy or effective.

END COMMUNICATION

Shogun has always been a MT brawler who flies in with crazy speed and attacks. He was never that "technical" until he fought Machida the first time, in easily the best performance ever in his career. Most of his Pride fights were wild ass hell and relied on his athleticism and speed. He was an updated Wand. He would throw high level techniques, but he was never very defensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmery Myers View Post
    Shogun has always been a MT brawler who flies in with crazy speed and attacks. He was never that "technical" until he fought Machida the first time, in easily the best performance ever in his career. Most of his Pride fights were wild ass hell and relied on his athleticism and speed. He was an updated Wand. He would throw high level techniques, but he was never very defensive.

Yeah it was referred to "going all Chute box" on the opponent and everyone instantly understood it meant running in like a wildman, whipping the hell out of them and finishing off with stomps and soccor kicks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is the most fun fight I've seen set-up in a long time. I love everything about this match-up. There are certain fights, that as soon as you see them on paper, bring a huge smile to your face. This is one of those.

(Note to myself - Put the kids to bed early for this one.)
    Kill or be killed.......

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlei View Post
    This is the most fun fight I've seen set-up in a long time. I love everything about this match-up. There are certain fights, that as soon as you see them on paper, bring a huge smile to your face. This is one of those.

(Note to myself - Put the kids to bed early for this one.)
    Only in your household does putting the kids to bed early mean you are going to watch a fight and not KO your wife