Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Carlos Condit Plan B: Rematch with Kampman if GSP not ready

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publ...le_13528.shtml

It sounds like Condit would like to get back a loss if GSP is not ready.

END COMMUNICATION
    Last edited by LordZardoz; 06-06-2012 at 11:12 AM.

I don't remember the first Condit-Kampmann fight at all but at this point right now I think Condit beats him.

Kampmann just said that he is having surgery, so I think he will be out anyway. I would like for GSP-Condit to happen with Kampmann-Hendricks co main event.

If GSP finds out soon though that he wont be ready, I think Hendricks is going to be ready to go before Kampmann, so there is a chance you could just let Hendricks get first crack and let Kampmann go right after

If GSP is not ready they should just strip him of the belt, its been a while now since he has been injured. If he ever comes back he can have an immediate title shot.

first match for anyone who cares to watch it

http://fightnext.com/video/67R57MB8D...pmann--UFN-18-

I remember it being pretty good. I might check it out again later. I am fairly annoyed with Condit here though. It seemed like wasn't too keen on giving Ellenberger a rematch in which he won the split decision even if he deserved it, yet is good with fighting Kampmann.
    Have you tried NOT being a mutant?
    *Iceman's parents in XMen 2*

Quote Originally Posted by Best80smovieRAD View Post
    I don't remember the first Condit-Kampmann fight at all but at this point right now I think Condit beats him.

Kampmann just said that he is having surgery, so I think he will be out anyway. I would like for GSP-Condit to happen with Kampmann-Hendricks co main event.

If GSP finds out soon though that he wont be ready, I think Hendricks is going to be ready to go before Kampmann, so there is a chance you could just let Hendricks get first crack and let Kampmann go right after
    I don't think GSP will be ready by November. Here's my thought. Give GSP more time to heal and set Condit vs. Hendricks up for UFC 154. GSP is presently on the shelf and Kampmann will be on the shelf for sometime. If GSP wants to fight between now and the winner of Condit/Hendricks give him the match he said he would vacate the title for if he got it: Nick Diaz (if the UFC can get him back) around UFC 158. The winner of those two fight each other for the undisputed championship, and sets the Welterweight division up for fun times until at least summer of 2013.

All this sitting around waiting is making me lose respect for this entire weight class.

Quote Originally Posted by PITTFOX View Post
    I remember it being pretty good. I might check it out again later. I am fairly annoyed with Condit here though. It seemed like wasn't too keen on giving Ellenberger a rematch in which he won the split decision even if he deserved it, yet is good with fighting Kampmann.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPD View Post
    All this sitting around waiting is making me lose respect for this entire weight class.
    Think of it from the point of view of the fighters.

For high level contenders who are in serious consideration for a title shot, doing a short term rematch (as PITTFOX mentions for Ellenberger vs Condit) is a no win situation. It is a choice between a title shot as a main event against a legendary fighter for big money vs a rematch against someone they believe they already beat in what is at best a mid maincard match or FX / Fuel main event for a great deal less money. On top of that, since the last fight was so damn close, there is a real chance they might lose.

Condit has an interim title, and he knows that if he loses that interim title before fighting GSP, the title is effectively meaningless. Defending the title looks good to the fans, but it just wont pay nearly as much as taking the fight with GSP. As it stands right now, he absolutely knows all he has to do to get his shot at GSP is wait.

There are two fights that Condit would take that are not GSP right now. Condit was willing to give Diaz the rematch, and if Diaz got licensed tomorrow, that fight would probably take place prior to GSP coming back. The Kampman fight is a chance to get back a loss he had, and that is always appealing.

The hell of it is that if Condit had chosen to defend that belt he might have gotten two defenses in prior to GSP coming back. If that had happened, the return fight against GSP would do monster numbers.

END COMMUNICATION

The timeline of the interm belt, defending it before GSP returns makes the interm belt all but meaningless.

I would put a lot of money if Diaz got licensed tomorrow, Carlos would find a reason to not take the fight. The only reason he is calling for Kampmann is he know's that fight won't materialize.

All he's doing at this point is PR to make it seem like he'd like to defend it. But really he'd only like to defend it vs. one of the very few fighters not named GSP he thinks he would win. So he's picking and choosing, something champions shouldn't have the luxary of doing.

I can understand it from a business stand point, but that doesn't mean I like or agree with it as a fight fan. Champions need to defend their belt against whoever is deemed the #1 guy in line. Not doing that makes someone a paper champ.

his plan b is to not go to decision! he won that fight!