Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Master

That is superior to PT Anderson's film in every way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think the movie is worth watching just for PSH & Jaoquim's performances. There are some awesome scenes between the two of them. That said, this movie really is pointless and meanders for the last hour until you just want it to be over.

3 / 5 stars

I guess once again I've seen a completely different film. I understand what you're saying about it not really going anywhere because it doesn't have a clearly written... storyline? What's the word I'm looking for, not narration nor plot... anyway. And I admit that there were long scenes somewhere in the middle where nothing actually seems to be going on on the surface. But still I found the whole experience quite shattering, the ending is so god damn beautiful, there were lots of really great scenes (meaning just as separate scenes from the full film) mixed in there like the "no blinking" scene, I loved the flashbacks with the young Norwegian girl, a touch of Terrence Malick yes. Did you guys not like anything in this? I'm personally mesmerized by Joaquin. It was a much more physical role than I was expecting. I don't like to write that much about something I've loved because I can't articulate it in a coherent way, can't do it justice. I suppose to try and "defend" the picture I've been watching some PTA interviews recently where he talks about Freddie Quell basically being a drifter hence the actual structure of the film becomes "drifting". To me it's a great existential ride, about serving a master or like in the end being able to abandon one. Become happy. I thought the ending was a happy one, and a beautiful one, like I said.

Quote Originally Posted by dhk1980 View Post
    U can bet Kimura is going to be one of them.
    You called it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kimura View Post
    I guess once again I've seen a completely different film. I understand what you're saying about it not really going anywhere because it doesn't have a clearly written... storyline? What's the word I'm looking for, not narration nor plot... anyway. And I admit that there were long scenes somewhere in the middle where nothing actually seems to be going on on the surface. But still I found the whole experience quite shattering, the ending is so god damn beautiful, there were lots of really great scenes (meaning just as separate scenes from the full film) mixed in there like the "no blinking" scene, I loved the flashbacks with the young Norwegian girl, a touch of Terrence Malick yes. Did you guys not like anything in this? I'm personally mesmerized by Joaquin. It was a much more physical role than I was expecting. I don't like to write that much about something I've loved because I can't articulate it in a coherent way, can't do it justice. I suppose to try and "defend" the picture I've been watching some PTA interviews recently where he talks about Freddie Quell basically being a drifter hence the actual structure of the film becomes "drifting". To me it's a great existential ride, about serving a master or like in the end being able to abandon one. Become happy. I thought the ending was a happy one, and a beautiful one, like I said.
    I just couldn't get into the "existential ride". That's awesome for you if you could (no sarcasm). I really was blown away by the performances though and would recommend it to any movie buff just for that alone. I will still be looking forward to waching Paul Anderson's next project.

Rumours are flying around the next project that it might also star Joaquin which for me is great news since I think with The Master he's done something so remarkable, of course not everyone's cup of tea. PTA is scheduled to adapt a novel called Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon; takes place I think in the 60's and the lead character is a stoner private detective or something. Robert Downey Jr. was previously attached to star.

The performances are quite remarkable altogether, Joaquin for me personally just went beyond.

If walking around acting drunk and talking out if the side of your hair lipped mouth is remarkable, then the guy absolutely deserves an Academy Award.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrocked View Post
    If walking around acting drunk and talking out if the side of your hair lipped mouth is remarkable, then the guy absolutely deserves an Academy Award.
    it worked for Nicolas Cage

Quote Originally Posted by kimura View Post
    Rumours are flying around the next project that it might also star Joaquin which for me is great news since I think with The Master he's done something so remarkable, of course not everyone's cup of tea. PTA is scheduled to adapt a novel called Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon; takes place I think in the 60's and the lead character is a stoner private detective or something. Robert Downey Jr. was previously attached to star.

The performances are quite remarkable altogether, Joaquin for me personally just went beyond.
    sounds good, sign me up

I don't know Shammy, I don't want to say I feel sorry for you that you didn't like this thing or don't enjoy the stuff Malick for example does because it would just be a hell of a lot more fun if you did. I don't think I'm in the wrong in assuming or having the belief that you actually do like some artsier stuff as well?