Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogWrestler View Post
    Hate to break it to you - but sponsors don't pay you if you don't fight. They want their logo on TV - magazine print ads and that kind of stuff won't really work too well for a guy who is sitting out. Also, Alvarez doesn't run his own gym. He DID open up an MMA store in Philly, but it failed horribly, he lost a ton of money in the deal, and it's out of business. I'd assume - from that - that he isn't exactly rolling in the money here and needs to fight to get by.
    I'd think there are more than a few companies out there who would be willing to take a flyer on fronting a guy for 8 months who will be headlining a show and fighting for the title. Its a relatively small investment from a marketing perspective to have that sort of high level exposure. I would tend to agree with you if this was for your "average fighter", but I think its a different story for someone who is about to have a huge level of exposure. In terms of Eddie's other decisions - if really is this bad in managing his money/affairs then I am not surprised that he is now in this jam with the contract. Sounds like he needs some help.

Quote Originally Posted by danl08 View Post
    I'd think there are more than a few companies out there who would be willing to take a flyer on fronting a guy for 8 months who will be headlining a show and fighting for the title. Its a relatively small investment from a marketing perspective to have that sort of high level exposure. I would tend to agree with you if this was for your "average fighter", but I think its a different story for someone who is about to have a huge level of exposure. In terms of Eddie's other decisions - if really is this bad in managing his money/affairs then I am not surprised that he is now in this jam with the contract. Sounds like he needs some help.
    Could be, but - and I know this first hand - a lot of "fight companies" are cash strapped. They can't just go around throwing money around that would allow a guy to live off of only that for 8 months based on the hope that he ends up with the UFC. too many things can go wrong for that equation. What if the UFC changes their mind? What if Eddie is so out of shape that he gets blasted and cut after one pathetic loss? What if other avenues open up in the UFC and they delay Eddie's start?

It's just a bunch of speculation with no guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogWrestler View Post
    Could be, but - and I know this first hand - a lot of "fight companies" are cash strapped. They can't just go around throwing money around that would allow a guy to live off of only that for 8 months based on the hope that he ends up with the UFC. too many things can go wrong for that equation. What if the UFC changes their mind? What if Eddie is so out of shape that he gets blasted and cut after one pathetic loss? What if other avenues open up in the UFC and they delay Eddie's start?

It's just a bunch of speculation with no guarantees.
    Its not going to be a fight company - probably someone with deeper pockets (Bud Light) who have the long term marketing budgets to bet on a play such as this. Its actually a good bet if it pays off. The exposure off of an exclusive play such as this has very definable payoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by danl08 View Post
    Its not going to be a fight company - probably someone with deeper pockets (Bud Light) who have the long term marketing budgets to bet on a play such as this. Its actually a good bet if it pays off. The exposure off of an exclusive play such as this has very definable payoffs.
    The closest thing to this scenario that may have actually happened is Microsoft.

Every damn time I have seen Mightymouse fight, he is wearing a whole lot of X-Box logo's and thats pretty much it, and that is going as far back as the fight with Kid Yamamoto. And today Demetrious Johnson is a goddamn champion. Sure, its flyweight, but that is either a very long term play, or Mighty Mouse has some well placed friends / kick ass agent.

END COMMUNICATION

I agree with Bulldog. Its going to be hard to hang on to sponsors while in limbo. A few may stay on board knowing its either bellator or ufc but most are going to say, sorry dude but call us when you have a deal in place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Repent Ash, repent!

announced on mma hour, eddie if he wanted to wait this out, the time is 40 months. Thats insane, so no waiting for eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Best80smovieRAD View Post
    announced on mma hour, eddie if he wanted to wait this out, the time is 40 months. Thats insane, so no waiting for eddie
    40 months from the start of his contract, or 40 months left? If it's 40 months from the start of his contract...

Quote Originally Posted by Best80smovieRAD View Post
    There is no way anybody would sign a contract like that. That is downright insane. Sitting out for 3 years?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    There is no way anybody would sign a contract like that. That is downright insane. Sitting out for 3 years?
    Im pretty sure that contract would never hold up in court. Preventing someone from earning a living for 3 years seems pretty bogus to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeto101 View Post
    Im pretty sure that contract would never hold up in court. Preventing someone from earning a living for 3 years seems pretty bogus to me.
    *cough* Irreparable damage *cough*