Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fightfan10 View Post
    i assume that ufc's contract offer had a clause that included bonuses if alverez headlines a ppv.
    bellator can match the offer knowing that they will not do a ppv and not have to pay the bonus.
    bellator matches the contract offer, but alverez says they are matching the contract in the literal sense but not the intent.

if this is the situation, it makes for an interesting lawsuit.

both sides have legitimate arguments.
    I'm pretty sure that Bjorn said on MMAJunkie Radio a while ago that a PPV model may be in the future for Bellator. Other than that then your post makes plenty sense. Especially as he wouldn't be obligated to put Eddie on any PPV's, if they had any.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Best80smovieRAD View Post
    So I figured guys contract numbers getting out eventually would spill over to how other fighters view they should be paid. It seems Ben Henderson is annoyed with his pay compared to what Eddie was offered.

I feel this is going to become an issue down the line, its going to be hard to satisfy everyone
    I can understand some of them being upset but Ben's gotta realize he's only getting a big contract to steal him away from Bellator (trying to make it so Bellator couldn't match the deal), not the same as WEC being folded into UFC. I mean its not like any guys from Strikeforce are going to get huge bumps in pay with the move over to UFC.

Bjorn Rebney's Side

As we reported Monday afternoon, Lightweight Eddie Alvarez is currently facing a law suit from his former employer Bellator FC. Eddie fought the final fight left on his contract in October and chose not to immediately re-sign with Bellator. He received an offer from the UFC in December that Bellator chose invoke their matching rights.

The matching rights gave Bellator the option to provide an offer equal to the UFC's and, since they did, Eddie is obligated to sign with them. However, Alvarez stressed numerous times in his interview on The MMA Hour, that he and his management do not believe Bellator came close to actually matching the UFC's contract.

Shortly after the Alvarez interview, MMA Weekly gave Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney's side of the story:

I’ve got wild respect for Ed. In our contract with Ed, exactly like the UFC has in their contracts, we have the right to match. Ed went out and got an offer from the UFC, and we took a look at that offer, reviewed it for about eight days, and decided to match it dollar for dollar, deal point for deal point, term for term. We matched every single element of it, word for word.

We matched the deal, and literally just signed it and sent it to him. Because that’s what our contract requires us to do, we matched it and sent it to him signed. So if he were to send it back signed, we’d be off and running and we could start looking at scheduling; we could start figuring out what’s next immediately.

MMA Fighting followed up with Rebney to get some more details. He confirmed what many thought was the issue in that Eddie was offered a percentage of the pay-per-view revenue by the UFC:

"I will tell you point blank, no questions asked, we matched it dollar for dollar, term for term and section for section," he said. "To avoid any kind of ambiguity, let me make clear, we took the UFC contract, we took it out of the PDF format, we changed the name 'UFC' to 'Bellator' and we signed it. We didn't alter a word, we didn't alter a phrase, we didn't alter a section, we didn't alter a dollar figure."

"There is no guaranteed pay-per-view in the UFC offer to Eddie Alvarez," he says emphatically. "We as Bellator don't have to match projections. We don't have to match what could conceptually happen. We have to match guaranteed dollars and what the UFC contractually guaranteed would occur. That is what we are held to."

The main bullet points of the 40-page UFC offer to Alvarez was a $250,000 signing bonus and a $70,000 fight purse with a $70,000 win bonus for his first fight, with salaries escalating over the life of the deal. The contract was to cover a span of 40 months or eight fights, whichever occurred earlier.

In short, Alvarez's complaint is that he'd be losing out on the potential earnings he'd make for fighting on a UFC pay-per-view if he signs with Bellator. That's understandable as it would be a substantial amount of his income for those appearances. However, as Rebney pointed out, Eddie's not guaranteed to appear on a PPV event and could hypothetically fight on free TV instead. So, as that money isn't guaranteed, it's not on Bjorn or Bellator to match it.

As for how long Alvarez could be out of action, Rebney said he's got a $250K check ready to send and would begin scheduling a bout immediate if Eddie signs the Bellator contract.
    From BloodyElbow.

I like Bjorn, and he always comes across well on MMAJunkie Radio. But he I can't understand why he would want to sign a fighter who doesn't want to fight for his company. As someone else here said, Eddie should just start publicly stating how he hates Bellator and will never fight for them as they have second tier fighters.
    Last edited by thelegend; 01-08-2013 at 08:26 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

He matched the contract.

Alvarez is - as I initially thought - pissed that he won't get as much money via sponsorships with Bellator as he would with the UFC. And that's true - there's money being left on the table there for sure - but Bellator isn't responsible for matching "potential sponsorship dollars". There's no way to quantify that.

That's a big contract for Eddie - but sheesh - 40 months or 8 fights is a loooooooooooooong time to be tied up.

It makes me wonder if it would have been smarter for the UFC to offer him a 1 fight contract with a huge signing bonus and lots of guaranteed money. If Bellator matched that deal - then Eddie gets his payday and is a free man again (without an 18 month wait clause attached to it) and can sign with the UFC. If not, then the UFC signs him and then gives him a contract extension for whatever they were originally going to do.

At this point I think he may be best placed to re-sign with Belaltor. I'm not sure if he'd manage 8 UFC fights without being cut, he could probably manage to win most of his bellator fights over that contract netting him a cool 1.2 million. Especially given that 4 of the fights would be a tourney right off the bat.

If he lost two on the bounce in the UFC they would cut him, let him win one in a smaller promotion then re-sign him on a 20k/20k contract.

Is it in the ufc contract, that eddie could be in a tag team with king mo in professional wrestling???

bellator didnt say he had to be on their ppv, he can main event a TNA ppv!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thelegend View Post
    At this point I think he may be best placed to re-sign with Belaltor. I'm not sure if he'd manage 8 UFC fights without being cut, he could probably manage to win most of his bellator fights over that contract netting him a cool 1.2 million. Especially given that 4 of the fights would be a tourney right off the bat.

If he lost two on the bounce in the UFC they would cut him, let him win one in a smaller promotion then re-sign him on a 20k/20k contract.
    The Chandler fight was very competitive and Alvarez got badly rocked twice (once near the start, and once when he was finished by Chandler). There is no guarantee he retakes his title from Chandler. There is also no guarantee that he gets the title fight / 4th fight fast since there are guys in the queue ahead of him (Hawn, then Season 7 tournament winner of Held vs Jansen). If Alvarez wins the Bellator title, he is going to be locked in by a champion clause unless he is willing to sit idle for a very long time like Lombard did. If not, it is very unlikely that Alvarez will be able to get the same kind of contract from Zuffa later.

END COMMUNICATION

Actually, I think Alvatez is making out here.

The UFC offered a contract above what his "UFC market value" would be. They wanted to sign him and offered up a contract that would be larger than what they felt Bellator would pay. So it's reasonable to assume that the UFC bumped their offer up from what it initially would be in order to do that.

Alvarez is going to make a killing fighting scrubs. Regardless of how potentially tough his competition in Bellator is - it's nowhere near the level of talent he would fight in the UFC. The chances of him going undefeated in Bellator are VASTLY greater than what it was in the UFC.

Makes sense for Alvarez to amass a quick 8-0 record and then sign with the UFC with a legacy of undefeated fights. He'd end up much more in the long run that way imo. That assumes he goes unbeaten.

I had a feeling this was all tied to PPV dollars. I honestly do see both sides here. Eddie will be losing a ton of money if Zuffa offered a PPV bonus.

No way eddie can wait 40 months. He'll probably have anothe 4 kids to feed in that time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogWrestler View Post
    Actually, I think Alvatez is making out here.

The UFC offered a contract above what his "UFC market value" would be. They wanted to sign him and offered up a contract that would be larger than what they felt Bellator would pay. So it's reasonable to assume that the UFC bumped their offer up from what it initially would be in order to do that.

Alvarez is going to make a killing fighting scrubs. Regardless of how potentially tough his competition in Bellator is - it's nowhere near the level of talent he would fight in the UFC. The chances of him going undefeated in Bellator are VASTLY greater than what it was in the UFC.

Makes sense for Alvarez to amass a quick 8-0 record and then sign with the UFC with a legacy of undefeated fights. He'd end up much more in the long run that way imo. That assumes he goes unbeaten.
    When has any fighter who becaome champ amassed a "quick" 8-0 record in Bellator? Since he won the belt, he has only fought for the promotion 6 times in 3.5 years. 1 of those was a catchweight non title fight. Another was non title fight. If he becomes the champ again, he'll be waiting forever to fight. Eddie wants 3-4 figths a year.