Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.

Thread: Art of Throwing

Default Art of Throwing

Some guy in the grappling section at Sherdog posted this video. It contains some pretty epic judo and greco roman throws:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pretty amazing stuff right there.

This thread could very easily be renamed 2 mins of stuff Wahoo will never be able to do. Pretty amazing indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo08 View Post
    This thread could very easily be renamed 2 mins of stuff Wahoo will never be able to do. Pretty amazing indeed.
    Not to brag, but I've executed a fair number of those techniques in competition. I'm a fantastic uke.

I just had my first BJJ practice with real focus on throws and takedowns and man was it fun. We didn't do the hardcore judo throws but some minor ones with effective ways to pull guard to positions where it would be easier to sweep and we had few trips to half guard, nothing really major. But I really liked it. Afterwards a judo black belt arrived and gave personal lessons to one of our BJJ black belts and it looked really intense, the judo black belt was quick as hell and his balance was incredible.

When we spar at practice we almost always start on our knees and I was starting to think about what I would do when I'm gonna compete because I hadn't learned any takedowns. I hope I get to train trips, throws and takedowns a little more often from now on. I have thought about trying judo but I don't know if I have the time or the money for both BJJ and judo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by spasgur View Post
    I just had my first BJJ practice with real focus on throws and takedowns and man was it fun. We didn't do the hardcore judo throws but some minor ones with effective ways to pull guard to positions where it would be easier to sweep and we had few trips to half guard, nothing really major. But I really liked it. Afterwards a judo black belt arrived and gave personal lessons to one of our BJJ black belts and it looked really intense, the judo black belt was quick as hell and his balance was incredible.

When we spar at practice we almost always start on our knees and I was starting to think about what I would do when I'm gonna compete because I hadn't learned any takedowns. I hope I get to train trips, throws and takedowns a little more often from now on. I have thought about trying judo but I don't know if I have the time or the money for both BJJ and judo.
    Yeah, judo is a ton of fun. If you like a particular judo throw, just drill it. If you were a judo black belt you'd learn a bunch of throws, but as a judo player you usually only use a handful in competition anyway. You can get a lot of traction (especially in BJJ) with just one throw that you do well. So drill one over and over. Find people in your club that want to practice too. You can work on fit-ins over and over (less painful that way). Focus on good pull/off-balancing and stepping in with good body position. If you both feel up to it, you can take turns throwing each other while you move. The person being thrown doesn't resist. This helps you work out timing and coordination. All this builds muscle memory while reducing the likelihood of injury and also avoiding situations where you just block/stiff-arm each others' techniques.