Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 295
  1. #281
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    a parallel universe
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    I was looking at rousey amature record and she has four wins by armbar in the first minute of the fights. Lol

  2. #282
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    25,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greezy View Post
    I was looking at rousey amature record and she has four wins by armbar in the first minute of the fights. Lol
    Come on man! We all know this.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  3. #283
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    2,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wK78 View Post
    The only thing I find sad is that Liz seems to be happy with her performance after the fight, and she seemed to be getting a lot of praise for her performance. If by losing in the first round and losing to the one move you knew was coming is to be considered a good performance why are we watching these fights. Whats a bad performance. You still lost. And granted she did have Rousey in trouble, still its sad to be proud of that.
    Because sometimes fighters are just better and even though you perform well you still lose because the other person is just above you. Doesn't seem hard for me to understand.

  4. #284
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    29,565

    Default

    She didn't perform well though.

  5. #285
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Castlevania
    Posts
    15,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogWrestler View Post
    She didn't perform well though.
    She exceeded expectations. She seemed more interested in what she represented by being there than actually winning. I think she was happy to break a barrier for women and for lesbians. On top of that, she's got some good money coming her way. I think she was pleased with how she represented herself in a broader sense than just the fight. I do wish she would have been less thrilled about a first round stoppage though.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  6. #286
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    29,565

    Default

    I'm speaking solely about her fight performance. People will pat her on the back for "almost finishing Ronda" - but the reality of the situation is that she was given a gift and couldn't do anything with it at all. To me, that's a discredit instead of a credit.

  7. #287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogWrestler View Post
    She didn't perform well though.
    What standard do judge Liz against though?

    I have seen Ronda's fights against Sarah D'Alelio, Julia Budd, Miesha Tate, Sarah Kaufman, and Liz Carmouche. Miesha Tate lasted longer but at no point did Tate do anything that put Ronda at any real level of danger. Everyone else was trivially taken down and armbarred. Both Tate and Budd had their arms bent into entirely unnatural shapes as well.

    The womens talent pool is shallow right now, but it looks like Rousey is going to be a dominant champion for a long time, much like Anderson Silva, GSP or Jon Jones. Rousey is also undefeated right now, and is likely to remain that way for a long time. It may be a while before Ronda looks anywhere near as vulnerable as she did against Carmouche.

    END COMMUNICATION

  8. #288
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    29,565

    Default

    No one else has really performed well against Ronda either.

    I'm just saying that Liz didn't really do much in that fight - even when she had the opportunity to finish.

  9. #289
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogWrestler View Post
    No one else has really performed well against Ronda either.

    I'm just saying that Liz didn't really do much in that fight - even when she had the opportunity to finish.
    I hear what you're saying about being happy with a RD 1 loss, but I thought Liz did some things well in the beginning of the fight. She didn't get thrown right away when Ronda tied her up on cage. Sure, she had compromise a lot in terms of position to do that, but she stopped big takedown. She also escaped Ronda's kesa gatame arm lock and got back up. She took advantage of Ronda's bad habit of giving up her back. True, she messed up the RNC, but that's not always simple.

    In the end, she was part of a successful main event that was entertaining and she's going tools a lot more money then she would have otherwise. In fact, she may have "won" more in losing.

    Finally, as for skill, she's got Lavar Johnson beat hands down and maybe even Brendan Schuab.

  10. #290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by telerion View Post
    I hear what you're saying about being happy with a RD 1 loss, but I thought Liz did some things well in the beginning of the fight. She didn't get thrown right away when Ronda tied her up on cage. Sure, she had compromise a lot in terms of position to do that, but she stopped big takedown. She also escaped Ronda's kesa gatame arm lock and got back up. She took advantage of Ronda's bad habit of giving up her back. True, she messed up the RNC, but that's not always simple.

    In the end, she was part of a successful main event that was entertaining and she's going tools a lot more money then she would have otherwise. In fact, she may have "won" more in losing.

    Finally, as for skill, she's got Lavar Johnson beat hands down and maybe even Brendan Schuab.
    I remember someone posting in a Judo thread in the Grappling sub forum about how going from Judo to BJJ that there are certain habits in competitive Judo that are good for Judo competition but bad for BJJ. As I understand it, landing the throw in Judo is the important bit as it scores points, but some of the more effective throws give up your back once your both on the ground. Also, going turtle to avoid a pin is great for Judo, but leaves you wide open to getting choked the **** out.

    I am sure others on this forum who actually compete in Judo and / or BJJ can confirm this or call out my completely wrong bull****.

    END COMMUNICATION

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •