Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    13,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Din Kong View Post
    One cool thing about this musical journey is I'm coming across some completely unknown and in many cases unpublished, artists and material the general public will never hear. This is some Albanian guy named Dimitar Nalbantov. Never heard of him before, but he posts on a message board I joined recently.

    If no one else, Shammy should check this out.

    https://soundcloud.com/diminalbantov...oming-2012-new

    Guy is flat out great.
    Great melodic sensibility and he's completely nailed Satriani's tone from Ice 9.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    66,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrocked View Post
    Great melodic sensibility and he's completely nailed Satriani's tone from Ice 9.
    Ok at the risk of sounding like...."why by gum back in my day we made our geetars out of fence posts and used barbed wire for strings and we were glad to have it!..." Let me start by saying, that guy sounded good so Im not taking anything away from him. But, to key off Shammy's line "he completely nailed Satrianis tone from Ice 9" today simply means pressing preset 14 on a Fractal FX modeling amp. You want Brian Mays classic violin tone, press button 22. You want to instantly nail Dimebag's crunch, punch button 4, Satriani on 3, Vai on 13, etc... Im a bit bothered by the modeling amps in that regard. The great guitarists all say its in their hands but thats not really true anymore with todays equipment. You can instantly sound like whoever you want with todays computer interfaces and modeling amps. You may not be able to play like them, but you can sound like them. Somehow that seems sacreligious to me. It took Brian May years to put together his classic violin sound. Eddie Van Halen turned the world upside down with his 'brown sound'. Guitarists worked tirelessly matching the right amp to the right speaker, guitar, pedals and mic techniques to come up with their own sound and todays thats literally available at the touch of a button. Im bothered by that and part of the reason is I see ALOT of bands live and they simply cannot play as good as their gear and they use the gear to hide their deficiencies. Now, its always been true that saturating your sound with tons of distortion and pedal effects can hide lack of skill or technique it seems to be getting worse and worse. Auto tune....jeebus. If you cant sing or play in tune then LEARN! A vast amount of recorded solos are chopped up bits and pieces made possible by Pro Tools. How about just learn to play the damn solo! You can buy guitars today (Peavey) that self tune. Jeez....

    Maybe if I owned a Fractal FX super duper modeling amp I would feel different. But, I still think there is magic to be found with a Stratocaster, small amp, couple of pedals and learning how to use them. Just last night I saw a band playing spacey, dope rock with more gear than Rush toured with in the 70s. They used every pedal and amp sound modification known to man and it just sounded so over done. And the guitarist simply wasnt that good. He hid his very simplistic noodling behind so much distortion, echo, chorus, blah blah blah that it was just sludge. That guy would have been lost playing clean or an acoustic. To play a club you really dont need a Mesa boogie half stack, PRS guitar and pedal board built by NASA. Or....do you?

    End rant.

    Anyway, Don do some more stuff and post it. Im interested to see where you go in your blues immersion.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Repent Ash, repent!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    13,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbear View Post
    Ok at the risk of sounding like...."why by gum back in my day we made our geetars out of fence posts and used barbed wire for strings and we were glad to have it!..." Let me start by saying, that guy sounded good so Im not taking anything away from him. But, to key off Shammy's line "he completely nailed Satrianis tone from Ice 9" today simply means pressing preset 14 on a Fractal FX modeling amp. You want Brian Mays classic violin tone, press button 22. You want to instantly nail Dimebag's crunch, punch button 4, Satriani on 3, Vai on 13, etc... Im a bit bothered by the modeling amps in that regard. The great guitarists all say its in their hands but thats not really true anymore with todays equipment. You can instantly sound like whoever you want with todays computer interfaces and modeling amps. You may not be able to play like them, but you can sound like them. Somehow that seems sacreligious to me. It took Brian May years to put together his classic violin sound. Eddie Van Halen turned the world upside down with his 'brown sound'. Guitarists worked tirelessly matching the right amp to the right speaker, guitar, pedals and mic techniques to come up with their own sound and todays thats literally available at the touch of a button. Im bothered by that and part of the reason is I see ALOT of bands live and they simply cannot play as good as their gear and they use the gear to hide their deficiencies. Now, its always been true that saturating your sound with tons of distortion and pedal effects can hide lack of skill or technique it seems to be getting worse and worse. Auto tune....jeebus. If you cant sing or play in tune then LEARN! A vast amount of recorded solos are chopped up bits and pieces made possible by Pro Tools. How about just learn to play the damn solo! You can buy guitars today (Peavey) that self tune. Jeez....

    Maybe if I owned a Fractal FX super duper modeling amp I would feel different. But, I still think there is magic to be found with a Stratocaster, small amp, couple of pedals and learning how to use them. Just last night I saw a band playing spacey, dope rock with more gear than Rush toured with in the 70s. They used every pedal and amp sound modification known to man and it just sounded so over done. And the guitarist simply wasnt that good. He hid his very simplistic noodling behind so much distortion, echo, chorus, blah blah blah that it was just sludge. That guy would have been lost playing clean or an acoustic. To play a club you really dont need a Mesa boogie half stack, PRS guitar and pedal board built by NASA. Or....do you?

    End rant.

    Anyway, Don do some more stuff and post it. Im interested to see where you go in your blues immersion.
    That's absolutely true, but at the end of the day I think people pick up on that stuff too. If you really want to stand out you still have to develop your own sound or nobody really takes you seriously.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    66,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrocked View Post
    That's absolutely true, but at the end of the day I think people pick up on that stuff too. If you really want to stand out you still have to develop your own sound or nobody really takes you seriously.

    Agreed. Some have the "it" factor and some dont. Ive heard some great technical players but something was missing. No soul to it. Songwriting is like that to, some just never get past "ok" songs to take it to the next level.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Repent Ash, repent!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    66,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just Brian View Post
    I liked it. I can't critique it in any meaningful way, but I like it. And I'm jealous. I don't play a damned thing and regret that.
    I really want to revisit this with Brian and Skinny, the guitar is not out of your reach. Its the greatest single path to musical soul healing that I know. You might want to be Eddie Van Halen but you can get an unbelievable amout of pleasure out of nothing more than a half ass acoustic guitar and 3 chords. If you never do anything more than E/A/D or G/C/D you can literally play along to thousands of hit songs throughout history. Add in a handful of chords beyond that and you can pick along at any fireside picking party on Earth. I am still amazed at the amount of pleasure I get from strumming a G chord and letting the notes ring out. For those who say they cant do anything, not true. I really believe if you do nothing more than learn 3-5 chords you can enjoy the guitar the rest of your life. Dont give up!

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Repent Ash, repent!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbear View Post
    Ok at the risk of sounding like...."why by gum back in my day we made our geetars out of fence posts and used barbed wire for strings and we were glad to have it!..." Let me start by saying, that guy sounded good so Im not taking anything away from him. But, to key off Shammy's line "he completely nailed Satrianis tone from Ice 9" today simply means pressing preset 14 on a Fractal FX modeling amp. You want Brian Mays classic violin tone, press button 22. You want to instantly nail Dimebag's crunch, punch button 4, Satriani on 3, Vai on 13, etc... Im a bit bothered by the modeling amps in that regard. The great guitarists all say its in their hands but thats not really true anymore with todays equipment. You can instantly sound like whoever you want with todays computer interfaces and modeling amps. You may not be able to play like them, but you can sound like them. Somehow that seems sacreligious to me. It took Brian May years to put together his classic violin sound. Eddie Van Halen turned the world upside down with his 'brown sound'. Guitarists worked tirelessly matching the right amp to the right speaker, guitar, pedals and mic techniques to come up with their own sound and todays thats literally available at the touch of a button. Im bothered by that and part of the reason is I see ALOT of bands live and they simply cannot play as good as their gear and they use the gear to hide their deficiencies. Now, its always been true that saturating your sound with tons of distortion and pedal effects can hide lack of skill or technique it seems to be getting worse and worse. Auto tune....jeebus. If you cant sing or play in tune then LEARN! A vast amount of recorded solos are chopped up bits and pieces made possible by Pro Tools. How about just learn to play the damn solo! You can buy guitars today (Peavey) that self tune. Jeez....

    Maybe if I owned a Fractal FX super duper modeling amp I would feel different. But, I still think there is magic to be found with a Stratocaster, small amp, couple of pedals and learning how to use them. Just last night I saw a band playing spacey, dope rock with more gear than Rush toured with in the 70s. They used every pedal and amp sound modification known to man and it just sounded so over done. And the guitarist simply wasnt that good. He hid his very simplistic noodling behind so much distortion, echo, chorus, blah blah blah that it was just sludge. That guy would have been lost playing clean or an acoustic. To play a club you really dont need a Mesa boogie half stack, PRS guitar and pedal board built by NASA. Or....do you?

    End rant.

    Anyway, Don do some more stuff and post it. Im interested to see where you go in your blues immersion.
    I have two things to say about this:

    1. I like to play guitar once in a while. If I can plug in and dial up a good tone, I'll play. If I have to invest years in experimenting with different things to get a signature sound, then I won't play at all, or I'll waste time I could be learning or playing. I'm not a technician. I'm not a sound engineer. I just want to play guitar. Why should young kids who want to learn be at a disadvantage because they don't own 10 trillion dollars worth of equipment? I think a kid plugging in to a huge sound is going to be way more motivated than plink plink plink.

    2. You are seriously over rating the effect of equipment. Tone is a lot more than dialing in a preset sound. I can guarantee you you could give a million guitar players Eddie Van Halen's equipment back in the day, and not one of them would sound anything like him. I don't just mean the skill level, I mean the actual sound. It's not just the electronics.

    I used to record my Marshall stack through a Shure SM57. It would take hours to try to get the best sound out of that. Actually, for casual recording it was impossible, because I lived in an apartment and you had to crank the Marshall to get the best sound. If you're a serious musician, you're going to develop your own identity and tone regardless. If you're some guy who likes to be able to record for fun, this thing is a Godsend.

    In fact, using the Axe FX and Reaper recording software (only $60!!), you can let your imagination run wild. When I was younger, I made demos on a four track, and then we saved up our money forever to go into a recording studio and record a few songs.

    This kind of technology, plus the internet for distribution, is going to turn the recording industry on its head. They don't like it at all, but they can blow me.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    66,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by don king View Post
    I have two things to say about this:

    1. I like to play guitar once in a while. If I can plug in and dial up a good tone, I'll play. If I have to invest years in experimenting with different things to get a signature sound, then I won't play at all, or I'll waste time I could be learning or playing. I'm not a technician. I'm not a sound engineer. I just want to play guitar. Why should young kids who want to learn be at a disadvantage because they don't own 10 trillion dollars worth of equipment? I think a kid plugging in to a huge sound is going to be way more motivated than plink plink plink.

    2. You are seriously over rating the effect of equipment. Tone is a lot more than dialing in a preset sound. I can guarantee you you could give a million guitar players Eddie Van Halen's equipment back in the day, and not one of them would sound anything like him. I don't just mean the skill level, I mean the actual sound. It's not just the electronics.

    I used to record my Marshall stack through a Shure SM57. It would take hours to try to get the best sound out of that. Actually, for casual recording it was impossible, because I lived in an apartment and you had to crank the Marshall to get the best sound. If you're a serious musician, you're going to develop your own identity and tone regardless. If you're some guy who likes to be able to record for fun, this thing is a Godsend.

    In fact, using the Axe FX and Reaper recording software (only $60!!), you can let your imagination run wild. When I was younger, I made demos on a four track, and then we saved up our money forever to go into a recording studio and record a few songs.

    This kind of technology, plus the internet for distribution, is going to turn the recording industry on its head. They don't like it at all, but they can blow me.
    Maybe I misunderstood, but isnt the Fractal FX the latest guitar modeler? ie a guitar amplifier which isnt cheap? I know there is some Fractal guitar modeling amp that is the darling of the new metal movement for having hundreds of popular sound presets already programmed and available at the touch of a button. I assumed this cost a few grand minimum. Again, I dont have it so Im ignorant other than what Ive read about it.

    Again, dont take my comments as derogatory toward you, I enjoyed your clip and want to hear more. Where Im jaded is that I see a ton of live music and so many bands have equipment that is light years better than they deserve; their playing just doesnt measure up to Marshalls, Mesa Boogies, etc...and I often think that they should spend more time on improving their playing. And on the flip side, occasionally I will see someone out of the blue that just blows me away with their skill. A few weeks ago at an acoustic show, they invited up a young guy (21 maybe) to sit in and he started playing the most tasteful western swing guitar you ever heard. Nothing but him and an acoustic and he was light years beyond anything I can play and he is just a youngster; he shouldnt even know about that style of music much less be a master of it. I was blown away. So I take that experience and then I see a young metal head playing with 5 grand worth of gear and hurting my ears and it makes my teeth grind.

    Anyway back to the Ae FX, on their website axe-fx.com they are having a contest to submit a 20 second clip using only the Axe FX, no backing tracks. As they describe it, "The world is waiting to here (their mispelling) the amazing sonic capabilities of the Axe FX so give it a go, grab your axe and dial in yoiur favorite amp and let'er rip." You might check that out.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Repent Ash, repent!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbear View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood, but isnt the Fractal FX the latest guitar modeler? ie a guitar amplifier which isnt cheap? I know there is some Fractal guitar modeling amp that is the darling of the new metal movement for having hundreds of popular sound presets already programmed and available at the touch of a button. I assumed this cost a few grand minimum. Again, I dont have it so Im ignorant other than what Ive read about it.
    Yeah, it's not cheap. And it does have tons of presets available, or you can mess with it to get your own sound. But it's cheaper than collecting a bunch of effects. I think it was about $2500. But back in my younger days, I bought a reverb unit for around $700, which would be over $1000 today. Just for reverb!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbear View Post
    Again, dont take my comments as derogatory toward you, I enjoyed your clip and want to hear more. Where Im jaded is that I see a ton of live music and so many bands have equipment that is light years better than they deserve; their playing just doesnt measure up to Marshalls, Mesa Boogies, etc...and I often think that they should spend more time on improving their playing. And on the flip side, occasionally I will see someone out of the blue that just blows me away with their skill. A few weeks ago at an acoustic show, they invited up a young guy (21 maybe) to sit in and he started playing the most tasteful western swing guitar you ever heard. Nothing but him and an acoustic and he was light years beyond anything I can play and he is just a youngster; he shouldnt even know about that style of music much less be a master of it. I was blown away. So I take that experience and then I see a young metal head playing with 5 grand worth of gear and hurting my ears and it makes my teeth grind.
    I don't think you should judge people on their equipment. If a band sucks but have good equipment, oh well. I don't think you should tell a guy he can't have a great amp because he's not a great player. Maybe it will inspire him to play more and improve. And it's not like having good equipment takes away from his ability to play ... unless he spent countless hours washing dishes to pay for it instead of practicing. BUT, I do get where you're coming from 100%.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbear View Post
    Anyway back to the Ae FX, on their website axe-fx.com they are having a contest to submit a 20 second clip using only the Axe FX, no backing tracks. As they describe it, "The world is waiting to here (their mispelling) the amazing sonic capabilities of the Axe FX so give it a go, grab your axe and dial in yoiur favorite amp and let'er rip." You might check that out.
    Thanks for the tip, but nah. I would be interested in hearing what some people come up with though.

    Oh, and I didn't think you were being derogatory to me at all.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,745

    Default

    I picked up a couple of CDs today. I think they belong here, rather than the new CD thread, since they aren't exactly new.



    I love Son House. This was recorded in the 60's after he was rediscovered and had to relearn to play guitar. The recording is great, and the man is a powerhouse. What I really want is the old recordings from the 30's and 40's. I'll pick up the Complete Library Of Congress Recordings soon. Scratchy, crappy sound, but something more magical in it, I think. I have some of those recordings on LP.



    Howlin Wolf and Hubert Sumlin. Love it. Have some LPs I bought years ago. Killing Floor is pure Led Zeppelin.


    To address something you said earlier, I love Delta Blues and Chicago Blues. The British Blues, especially their God, Eric Clapton, do very little for me. In fact, I can't stand Eric Clapton. So many people see him as God, I'll have to give him a fair chance some day and immerse myself or try, but everything I've heard from him bores me. I own a few of the early albums he made.

    Also, if you ever see me in a bar in Texas (or anywhere else for that matter) trying to be a blues player, please feel free to shoot me repeatedly in the face. I'm a white guy who grew up in the suburbs. I want to absorb something from the soul of these guys, and IMO the further back you go, the purer it gets ... but I'm not a blues man and never will be. BUT, if I can add a lot more feeling to my playing, and get back to the technical level I was at, I'll have some fun.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,745

    Default

    I found some old stuff I did in the early 80's. Unfortunately the sound quality is really bad. Muddy as hell. Maybe even unlistenable. Alhough I have digital masters, they were done in an outdated technology and I can't find anyone who can transfer them so all I have is a 30 year old cassette that has been played too many times. Anyway, it's better than nothing.

    I wrote Turn Around myself, and Nowhere to Run with Jamie Bath (vocalist).

    https://soundcloud.com/dinkong/nowhere-to-run

    https://soundcloud.com/dinkong/turn-around
    Last edited by don king; 03-15-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •