Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.

Default So is Tyson Fury any good or is he just a loudmouth attention whore?

The guy is calling out Cain Velasquez. I am pretty sure that fight would be predictible (ie, Cain wins MMA easily, Fury probably wins if its boxing).

But as a Boxer, is that guy actually any good? Clearly he is not anywhere near getting a meaningful title shot in boxing if he is calling out MMA guys. But is the guy at least halfway competent as a boxer?

END COMMUNICATION

In a nutshell, no.

Guy has a padded record and has fought handpicked opponents. They're giving him the Peter McNeely treatment (drumming him up to 40-0 before he starts fighting real contenders). They have tried to set up a fight between him and David Price (who would be his most legitimate fight by several miles) - but that never materialized (rumor had it that they wanted "more exposure" for Fury).

The guy called out Velasquez for exposure only. Never had an intention to fight him. He also called out Bob Sapp and Mirko IIRC.

Ok, thanks. I figured he was no where near the top. I was trying to figure out if this situation would be comparable to Leonard Garcia calling out Floyd Mayweather Jr (ie, marginal but tested UFC journyman fighter calling out top boxer) or if it was more like Stephen Bass. trying to do the same (Ultimate Fighter Season 14 washout).

Sounds like the guy is a punchline.

END COMMUNICATION

He's a prospect, and has titles. He's 100% untested though - and you have to keep in mind that, in boxing, titles are like candy.

He's generally referred to as the "next big HW" coming out of Europe though. However, that moniker has flopped on so many people - that it's almost not worth letting it bear any weight.

My take is that the guy is a punchline - but it's just an undefeated, unproven fighter calling someone out for attention. I wouldn't compare him to Garcia or someone that washed out of TUF.

I have a slightly higher opinion of Fury. He's an okay HW, he moves well, is a switch hitter, has good power and is tough. He has beaten some tough guys ( like Chisora and Marty Rogan).

IMO David Price would smash Fury. Price has a great pedigree and TNT in his fists but does not rely on it.
    "The power of the people is much stronger than the people in power"

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogWrestler View Post
    He's a prospect, and has titles. He's 100% untested though - and you have to keep in mind that, in boxing, titles are like candy.

He's generally referred to as the "next big HW" coming out of Europe though. However, that moniker has flopped on so many people - that it's almost not worth letting it bear any weight.

My take is that the guy is a punchline - but it's just an undefeated, unproven fighter calling someone out for attention. I wouldn't compare him to Garcia or someone that washed out of TUF.
    Ok, that is much more informative. I figured comparing him to a low level UFC fighter would get a response that would better clarify.

I know that in boxing, titles are more often than not largely cosmetic. I would view a boxing title on an unknown fighter as being something like having a black belt in a traditional martial art; There are black belts, and then there are black belts...

Thanks.

END COMMUNICATION

WEREWOLF is offline Forum PRIDE FC Champ, Forum UFC 98 Champ

Ring Magazine has him ranked #10 in the world.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't like him, and I don't really rate him much either. He is very good at domestic level, but I really don't see him much higher than that. I agree Price would murder him, and that is the reason they won't get matched up in a hurry.

'I facking 'ate Pikeys............'.
    Kill or be killed.......

I guess I may have spoke too soon....

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/vie...Kop-Tyson-Fury
    Kill or be killed.......

Have you guys seen the fight where he uppercuts himself? It is ****ing hilarious.

Here is a video of it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dxPO_Z57xg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - Muay Thai / BJJ Training Blogs | Worldwide MMA