Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default UFC heads back to Sweden in April, Gustafsson-Mousasi set to headline UFC On Fuel 9

I can't translate it but supposedly he will be fighting Mousasi or possibly the winner of Rashad-Lil Nog (i doubt winner of Nog-Rashad will be ready or would accept in that short of time)

http://www.kimura.se/rykte-ufc-aterv...verige-i-april

update:

fight is official now and confirmed by Ariel Helwani

Here's more from Ariel Helwani:

Gustafsson and Mousasi have verbally agreed to meet on April 6 in Sweden. The event is expected to be dubbed UFC on FUEL TV 9. MMAFighting.com confirmed the story with one source earlier in the week, and Swedish MMA Web site Kimura.se is reporting Gustafsson announced the fight at a gym opening in Sweden on Saturday. This will mark the UFC's second trip to Sweden. UFC on FUEL TV 2, also headlined by Gustafsson, was held in Stockholm, Sweden last April, and the sold-out event was a rousing success. The same report states UFC on FUEL TV 9 will also be held at Stockholm's Ericsson Globe Arena.
    Last edited by Best80smovieRAD; 01-19-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Andy Wang #1 P4P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where's JC Freakhead? He'll be able to tell us what it says.

I think Gustafsson uses his reach to outpoint Mousasi, if this match actually takes place. Doesn't seem like a step up for the Swede, however.

i think Mousasi is popular in that area, so good way to boost his profile and use Gustafsson to sell out the arena. By process of elimination, not sure who else you give Gustafsson unless Rashad or Lil Nog ends their fight fast
    Andy Wang #1 P4P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The article basically says that there are, still unconfirmed, rumors amongst fighters, MMA stores, media and other people affiliated with MMA that UFC will return to Sweden in April. So they anticipate that the UFC will announce the event pretty soon. Then they name a few potential opponents. Lil Nog or Rashad are mentioned as potential opponents given that they stay injury free from their fight in February, Lyoto and Hendo are also mentioned but they kimura.se don't think that they are very likely opponents and lastly they mention Mousasi who has expressed a desire to fight Gustafsson.

That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by split decision View Post
    Where's JC Freakhead? He'll be able to tell us what it says.

I think Gustafsson uses his reach to outpoint Mousasi, if this match actually takes place. Doesn't seem like a step up for the Swede, however.
    You're wrong - Gustaffson only has a HALF INCH reach advantage. I repeat, HALF INCH. In fact, I think Mousasi is the better striker. If Gustaffson is going to win, he's going to mix up striking with wrestling. It's not a sure bet win, considering Mousasi has a decent back groundgame, but it can work as long a he can keep Mousasi guessing the wrong thing that he, Gustaffson, is about to do.

I want to point out that I believe Gustaffson will this fight, but it's going to be closer than he likes, and his reach will not be in his favor.

In fact, I hate it when people say his "reach" will help him. He didn't have a reach advantage of Shogun, who also had a similar reach.
    Last edited by HugeMMAFan; 01-18-2013 at 09:31 PM.

The article is pure speculation when it comes to GustaFSSon's opponent, and the return of the UFC to Sweden is just a rumour, although one that seems to come from many different sources.

I don't want to see Gus fight Mousasi. Is he really a step up from Thiago Silva? Bring on Bones and there will be 55 000+ people in the audience.

If that's the case, I'll have to make it this time.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

This would be an AMAZING fight, and I would get to either be justified in my enthusiasm for Mousasi or embarrassed if he looks terrible against a guy that almost certainly won't LnP him.

What a strange fight, they just had Gus "fighting for a title shot" and now they throw him in against a relatively unknown (to casual fans) fighter. I think Mousasi stands a great chance against Gus, but it doesn't seem fair to Gus after his last fight was supposedly a title eliminator. If Gus loses (I think he will win this fight, but Mousasi stands a great chance) then he drops quite a bit in the eye of the casual fan, but if he wins it certainly isn't a fight worthy of pushing him into a title fight. I wish the UFC would just stop saying fights are for title shots, it has lost all meaning. This reminds me of a scenario where JDS fought Werdum and won, and it looked real bad on Werdum cause nobody knew JDS really at the time.