Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Wish ritchie would dump the wife and get out his strat again. Call up Hughes and gillian and put something together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by ATroms View Post
    Well, I dont think Radiohead is the most original band ever. Whos really to say what band is, or is not?? I would say since the early 90's, in the alternative genre, i cant think of another band that is as prominent/important as they are, and that have exhibited such a versatile and wide range of sound while garnering the type of acclaim that they have. And i get it, you completely disagree. Fair enough..
    I hate this post. There're numerous things wrong with it.

Whos really to say what band is, or is not??
    This argument blows. So because you don't know, I mustn't either? Where do you think Thom Yorke got his ideas from? Did he have a wondrous synth and reverb-filled dream and then immediately committed that to record upon waking up? Or did he hear something he liked and took a page from it? It's not a matter of opinion, as you've put it, but rather knowing or not knowing.

I would say since the early 90's, in the alternative genre, i cant think of another band that is as prominent/important as they are, and that have exhibited such a versatile and wide range of sound while garnering the type of acclaim that they have.
    Well, how old were you in the early '90s? 5? 6 maybe? That's why you can't think of another band, you have a bad frame of reference. It's no different than myself having bottle necked knowledge of music from any time before, I dunno, 1969. The 2nd half of that statement is sensational cack. And how exactly is acclaim a measuring stick for anything? It's not, unless you're going to try to defend boy bands whilst you're at it.
    アッシュ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Cbear
    Enter the Bear. Game over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    1) This argument blows. So because you don't know, I mustn't either? Where do you think Thom Yorke got his ideas from? Did he have a wondrous synth and reverb-filled dream and then immediately committed that to record upon waking up? Or did he hear something he liked and took a page from it? It's not a matter of opinion, as you've put it, but rather knowing or not knowing.

2) Well, how old were you in the early '90s? 5? 6 maybe? That's why you can't think of another band, you have a bad frame of reference. It's no different than myself having bottle necked knowledge of music from any time before, I dunno, 1969. The 2nd half of that statement is sensational cack. And how exactly is acclaim a measuring stick for anything? It's not, unless you're going to try to defend boy bands whilst you're at it.
    1) You might have your own idea, as i have mine is what im saying. So who is (more) correct? Is there really a way to say one opinion has more stroke than another when it comes to musical taste preference? I really dont know where Thom Yorke gets his ideas from, youd have to ask him. Theres no doubt that Radiohead is not the first band to go synth in the rock world. So yes, there has to be some sort of influence to take from. All music is exactly that..

2) Can you name me another band from the early 90's that came up on a grunge record and have ended up where Radiohead have, since you were older than me at the time then? How am i measuring acclaim? The same way cinema is measured.. By musically educated critics and fellow musicians. Its the same thing as to throw a hundred fim critics from the academy in a theater, have them watch The Godfather, and 95 of them walk out saying its the best movie ever made, while 5 says its a bunch of Italians committing cheap crimes on each other and thats all. It does mean something when such a large quantity/majority of people share a similar sentiment.

BTW, not comparing Radiohead to The Godfather as a parallel from cinema to music. Just making my point pertaining to the acclaim Radiohead gets from the 'experts'

Well, not to be nitpicky, but Radiohead has never done a grunge record. That's probably one of the most misappropriated genres in all of music. But that aside, what do you mean by "ended up where Radiohead have"? Sales? Variance in genre? Influence?
    アッシュ

Well, not to be nitpicky, but Radiohead has never done a grunge record. That's probably one of the most misappropriated genres in all of music. But that aside, what do you mean by "ended up where Radiohead have"? Sales? Variance in genre? Influence?
    Well not to be nitpicky back, but Pablo Honey is Brittish grunge man.. It was England's answer to Nirvana at the time.

And God no, not speaking sales at all. Is that what you think ive been implying, and thats why you mentioned the boys bands? No sir.. Mostly variance in genre, importance/influence over the last 20 yrs in alternative music. Whether you like them or not, they are certainly one of the landmark bands since the early 90's.. And its the acclaim by the experts, and even more so, their fellow musicians that speak toward this as to why i can say it, and feel it with such confidence

hahaha, where are you getting any of this from? British grunge? Answer to Nirvana? This is all revisionist history. Pablo Honey sold like 11 copies when it came out and wasn't a particularly well received album. In Utero came out around the same time and sold millions with.... well, it had a tepid reception, too. Grunge-influenced album, maybe. The album was inspired by Mudhoney and Dinosaur Jr admittedly, and those were super hot bands at that point in time, but that's about where that ends.

As for the 2nd part of your post, what are you qualifying as an expert? Someone alive during that time period and possessing a B.M? That'd make me an expert then. Furthermore, can you name even a single important bands Radiohead have influenced? Just one won't be hard if they're as influential as you've claimed. I mean, Sonic Youth and J&MC inspired My Bloody Valentine to get the ball rolling on that whole shoegaze thing (an entire genre of music!), Dinosaur Jr and Mudhoney found it's way into that Kurt Cobain guys tape deck, Slint made people realize you didn't need riffs or singing to make good music... that's just naming a few. What'd Radiohead do? Landmark band? Sure. They sold quite a few albums and lots of people like'em. Did they change the direction of alternative music? Not really. But nobody actually thinks they did except people really into Radiohead.
    アッシュ

WEREWOLF is offline Forum PRIDE FC Champ, Forum UFC 98 Champ

AFI started out as a Misfits influenced punk band;

Then singer Davy Havoc inexplicably went all dhk1980;

I was shocked the first time I ever heard Miss Murder on the radio. I honestly thought it was just another band using the acronym A.F.I. I didn't really dislike the change of direction, but definitely very different.
    アッシュ

As for the 2nd part of your post, what are you qualifying as an expert? Someone alive during that time period and possessing a B.M? That'd make me an expert then. Furthermore, can you name even a single important bands Radiohead have influenced? Just one won't be hard if they're as influential as you've claimed. I mean, Sonic Youth and J&MC inspired My Bloody Valentine to get the ball rolling on that whole shoegaze thing (an entire genre of music!), Dinosaur Jr and Mudhoney found it's way into that Kurt Cobain guys tape deck, Slint made people realize you didn't need riffs or singing to make good music... that's just naming a few. What'd Radiohead do? Landmark band? Sure. They sold quite a few albums and lots of people like'em. Did they change the direction of alternative music? Not really. But nobody actually thinks they did except people really into Radiohead.
    People who listen to music and critique it to make a living is who i speak of. Thats why i drew the parallel to the academy in cinema. And i cant overstate enough the importance of fellow musicians who praise them as well. Radiohead's ambient textures play a huge role in bands who are now hitting their full stride, and wouldve listened to OK Computer/Kid A/Amnesiac during the time when they were getting their own start in the industry. Couple bands who have openly admitted this and are now garnering the same kind of acclaim, from the same critics are Grizzly Bear and Deerhunter.

And its hard to disagree with your statement of Radiohead changing the direction of alternative music, because they dont exactly produce alternative music anymore to begin with. Thats what i admire most about them. I can understand all the spite from everyone for Radiohead, i really do.. But they really do challenge themselves to be versatile and to continue to find ways to produce unique and versatile music every time out.