Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.

Default Nate Diaz vs Josh Thompson added to UFC On Fox 7 in California

mmajunkie

Seven years after he left, Josh Thomson (19-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is returning to the octagon.

UFC officials today announced the ex-Strikeforce lightweight champ will fight Nate Diaz (16-8 MMA, 7-6 UFC) at UFC on FOX 7, which takes place April 20 at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

It's not yet known whether the bout will be broadcast on the event's FOX-televised main card or on the preliminary-card, which serves on FX and Facebook.

The venue, however, is a familiar place for Thomson, whose post-UFC residency with Strikeforce netted him his first world title. He later ceded it to current champ Gilbert Melendez.

This past May, Thomson failed to reclaim the belt in a razor-close fight with Melendez, who was booed at the announcement of a split call in his favor.

Nicknamed "The Punk," Thomson ended his Strikeforce tenure with a 10-4 record. He went 2-1 in his first stint with the UFC, which ended in 2004 with a highlight-reel knockout loss against Yves Edwards.

Diaz most recently vied for UFC gold when he took on champ Benson Henderson at UFC on FOX 5. Dominated over five rounds, he lost a unanimous decision, which snapped a three-fight win streak he built following an unsuccessful stint at welterweight.

Diaz's longtime teammate, Melendez, is now set to challenge Henderson for the title in UFC on FOX 7's main event.

Midget Joe doing a hell of a job booking.Thompson is the LW version of Tito always some sort of injury excuse.Nate eats him alive standing.

Yeah, Nate destroys Josh and Thompson references his one good fight from 10 years ago and says that he would have been "that guy" if not for the back replacement he had the day before the fight.

But look at my latest I hate Obama shirt!

Thompson is a damn good fighter. He just always seems to get hurt. I think he can make this a damn good fight if he can make it into the cage in one piece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm amazed Fox didn't nix this after Nate flipped Benson off on the last Fox show. I'm sure Dana told him not to do it again on network television...
    Always supporting:
    Roy Nelson
    Diego Sanchez
    Dan Henderson
    Martin Kampmann

Quote Originally Posted by Humorless View Post
    I'm amazed Fox didn't nix this after Nate flipped Benson off on the last Fox show. I'm sure Dana told him not to do it again on network television...
    I dont see Dana saying anything because its Nates style, if they had an issue with it then its there responsibility to not book him for Fox. At this point though if Nate opens the card, its his third Fox card in a row.

I doubt it but there is a chance that Nate vs Josh might not even be one of the 4 fights on the main card, theres a possibility it could be the last fight of the FX card. I would assume though as of now that it will open the card but you never know.

Gonna be great when Bendo gets hurt, and we get Thompson vs Melendez IV

I like Thomson as a fighter but his anti-Obama rants are really strange.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.