Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm Bodies

Thumbs down Warm Bodies

I'm a sucker for zombies. That said I have my limits. In the few decades people have been bastardizing George Romero's labor of love with very mixed results. For every 28 Days Later or Walking Dead there's a dozen straight to video hack jobs. It's to the point where it takes something special to make me bite (no pun intended...well it was kind of intended), but humanizing a zombie struck me as a new idea. Not entirely new mind you, Romero was playing with it as far back as 1985 when Dr. Logan used music to stir Bub's humanity in Day of the Dead, but Warm Bodies looked like a fresh take so I gave it a shot.

The trailer for Warm Bodies plays up the comedic vibe, but this film is no Shaun of the Dead. In fact it's more love story than comedy (a Romantic Zombedy if you will). There's a bit of Robin Campillo's little seen, avant, French zombie drama, Les Revanants (They Came Back) in there, but unfortunately it's too much tweener romance to really be clever or fresh. My eleven year old son even pointed out a thinly veiled literary reference that had escaped me. The zombie can't remember his name - only that it begins with R and the love interest is named Julie. "Get it dad? R for Romeo and Julie is short for Juliet?" From the mouth of babes indeed.

R is a thoughtful zombie who wanders from place to place amongst his zombie brethren, following the routine of visiting familiar places and always searching for his next meal, but there's an inner dialog that R can't verbalize because he's dead. In Warm Bodies there are two kinds of zombies, "corpses", which are the traditional zombies that we're all familiar with and "bones" which are the skeletal remains of a zombie who's wasted away to the point of being unrecognizably human. For reasons unexplained bones will hunt anything with a heartbeat and are somehow even faster and stronger than corpses (or so it appears anyway). One day R rounds up a group of "friends" to hunt in a pack and they stumble upon a group of survivors led by Julie, daughter of the Resistance leader (played by John Malkovich), but instead of eating her R finds himself attracted to her. He saves the girl from the hungry pack and takes her back to his "home" where he cares for her and protects her from other zombies, all the while growing more and more "human" in her presence. Julie escapes and heads for home, but not before realizing that R has stirred something in her as well and that it's the very thing that may lead to the cure they've searched so desperately for.

Sound stupid? It is. Warm Bodies has it's moments and it's not completely unclever, but ultimately it plays too much like a movie for the Twilight set for genre fans to enjoy. Zombie purists will HATE this movie and rightfully so. I mean do we really want kinder, gentler zombies? I know I don't. If you're a teenage girl by all means check this one out, but I'm sticking with Uncle George where my zombies are concerned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, I saw the trailer for this and assumed it would be exactly as you described. I love zombies, I even watch all the straight to DVD movies but I'll pass on this one.

Les Revenants is a very original and thought provoking film. Got preachy at the end but the first 2/3 of the movie is good. What do you do when your loved ones come back, not to harm snyone but out of the loneliness of being dead?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Repent Ash, repent!

WEREWOLF is offline Forum PRIDE FC Champ, Forum UFC 98 Champ

Zombie Honeymoon is an indie zombie flick which explores how far a women will go for the man she loves after he's bitten by a zombie and slowly turns into one. Despite the lurid title, the movie is worth checking out especially if you're looking for an original alternate zombie themed flick.

I thought Zombie Honeymoon was interesting and entertaining.
    R.I.P. Cameron

I'm going to eat your children!!!!

I don't care what RT says, I ain't interested in this one

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrocked View Post
    I'm a sucker for zombies. That said I have my limits. In the few decades people have been bastardizing George Romero's labor of love with very mixed results. For every 28 Days Later or Walking Dead there's a dozen straight to video hack jobs. It's to the point where it takes something special to make me bite (no pun intended...well it was kind of intended), but humanizing a zombie struck me as a new idea. Not entirely new mind you, Romero was playing with it as far back as 1985 when Dr. Logan used music to stir Bub's humanity in Day of the Dead, but Warm Bodies looked like a fresh take so I gave it a shot.

The trailer for Warm Bodies plays up the comedic vibe, but this film is no Shaun of the Dead. In fact it's more love story than comedy (a Romantic Zombedy if you will). There's a bit of Robin Campillo's little seen, avant, French zombie drama, Les Revanants (They Came Back) in there, but unfortunately it's too much tweener romance to really be clever or fresh. My eleven year old son even pointed out a thinly veiled literary reference that had escaped me. The zombie can't remember his name - only that it begins with R and the love interest is named Julie. "Get it dad? R for Romeo and Julie is short for Juliet?" From the mouth of babes indeed.

R is a thoughtful zombie who wanders from place to place amongst his zombie brethren, following the routine of visiting familiar places and always searching for his next meal, but there's an inner dialog that R can't verbalize because he's dead. In Warm Bodies there are two kinds of zombies, "corpses", which are the traditional zombies that we're all familiar with and "bones" which are the skeletal remains of a zombie who's wasted away to the point of being unrecognizably human. For reasons unexplained bones will hunt anything with a heartbeat and are somehow even faster and stronger than corpses (or so it appears anyway). One day R rounds up a group of "friends" to hunt in a pack and they stumble upon a group of survivors led by Julie, daughter of the Resistance leader (played by John Malkovich), but instead of eating her R finds himself attracted to her. He saves the girl from the hungry pack and takes her back to his "home" where he cares for her and protects her from other zombies, all the while growing more and more "human" in her presence. Julie escapes and heads for home, but not before realizing that R has stirred something in her as well and that it's the very thing that may lead to the cure they've searched so desperately for.

Sound stupid? It is. Warm Bodies has it's moments and it's not completely unclever, but ultimately it plays too much like a movie for the Twilight set for genre fans to enjoy. Zombie purists will HATE this movie and rightfully so. I mean do we really want kinder, gentler zombies? I know I don't. If you're a teenage girl by all means check this one out, but I'm sticking with Uncle George where my zombies are concerned.
    actually this was already done in deadheads, just a bit differently. it was a decent movie

I loved this movie. Just for the record.

WEREWOLF is offline Forum PRIDE FC Champ, Forum UFC 98 Champ

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogWrestler View Post
    No surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogWrestler View Post
    I heard from a two friends that this was a really good movie. One of them went to an advanced screening and liked it so much paid to see it when it was officially released. But then again both of them are females.