Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canadian Taxes, school, and what do you suggest?

For all the Canucks who might know something about this and income tax...

I was attending trade school last year for 8 weeks. Is there any claims I can make other than the obvious? I rented a basement suite Mon-Fri. and paid $400/month. Can't claim that expense because it was cash. Saved all my gas receipts so I'm wondering if I can claim that as "travel expenses". My work reimbursed my school expenses (books, etc.) so I know I can't claim that. Just starting to look into this so if there's anything you can think of based on your own experience or someone you know please let me know.
    Last edited by Skinny; 02-10-2013 at 03:39 PM.

I take it you are doing your own taxes?

If you are using an accountant or a tax service, try claiming everything you have. They will tell you yes or no.

That rent should be tax deductible, it doesn't matter if it was cash as long as they can give you a receipt. Without the receiot, it could be tricky.
    Also the costs involved with getting set up in the apartment (moving fees) are a write off in some provinces (Ontario=yes, NB=no), so it is worth a try there.
    If you still have receipts for books, etc, write them off anyway.

And of course, your tuition fees are deductible, but you already know that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do they have a Canadian turbo tax?

If so claim everything you can think of, even if reimbursed, and it'll fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Couldnt you just get a receipt for the apartment?My work also reimburses me for various on the road expenses,but I always seem to forget mentioning that to my tax guy.Nothing wrong with a lil double dipping.

5. Default

In this here great nation what you have there would only be deductible if you itemize your return, if you normally go with a standard deduction for filing jointly with your wife then I don't think you will be able to use though eh.

Unless you get paid on a 1099-misc in which case you should be able to use those to offset any self employment tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    For all the Canucks who might know something about this and income tax...

I was attending trade school last year for 8 weeks. Is there any claims I can make other than the obvious? I rented a basement suite Mon-Fri. and paid $400/month. Can't claim that expense because it was cash. Saved all my gas receipts so I'm wondering if I can claim that as "travel expenses". My work reimbursed my school expenses (books, etc.) so I know I can't claim that. Just starting to look into this so if there's anything you can think of based on your own experience or someone you know please let me know.
    Holy sh1t are you cheap! You say you can't claim the rent. I assume it was cash and you agreed there would be no receipt, so that was figured into the price? You can't claim the school expenses because you didn't pay them. So, in effect, you're wondering if you can claim your gas? That seems to be the only thing here. Seems like more trouble than it's worth IMO. How much gas did you burn?

Quote Originally Posted by don king View Post
    Holy sh1t are you cheap! You say you can't claim the rent. I assume it was cash and you agreed there would be no receipt, so that was figured into the price? You can't claim the school expenses because you didn't pay them. So, in effect, you're wondering if you can claim your gas? That seems to be the only thing here. Seems like more trouble than it's worth IMO. How much gas did you burn?
    Not sure what you mean by cheap.

The people I rented from didn't want anything for rent. Even though I was hardly there except to sleep and shower I offered them $400. Thought it was fair considering my use of their house Mon.-Fri. It was a mutual agreement to pay cash without a receipt. Considering it'd cost me at least $600 anywhere else I thought that was a good deal.

Otherwise, I ain't looking for a hand-out just wondering if I may be over-looking something. As for gas, it was about $50/week so about $400 for the session. The bulk of that was the hour and a half trip to and from Prince Albert (drove up Monday morning and back Friday afternoon).

BTW, I use Tax-Freeway for Mac to do my taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Not sure what you mean by cheap.

The people I rented from didn't want anything for rent. Even though I was hardly there except to sleep and shower I offered them $400. Thought it was fair considering my use of their house Mon.-Fri. It was a mutual agreement to pay cash without a receipt. Considering it'd cost me at least $600 anywhere else I thought that was a good deal.

Otherwise, I ain't looking for a hand-out just wondering if I may be over-looking something. As for gas, it was about $50/week so about $400 for the session. The bulk of that was the hour and a half trip to and from Prince Albert (drove up Monday morning and back Friday afternoon).

BTW, I use Tax-Freeway for Mac to do my taxes.
    I'm just razzing you about being cheap. If you paid $400 in gas, if you can claim it, maybe you'll get back $150. It all depends on your tax bracket. You won't get back $400. I guess it's worth it. Tony Montana is an accountant. Maybe he can give you some advice, but I'm not sure if the tax laws are the same on Pandora.

Quote Originally Posted by seansloan View Post
    Nothing wrong with a lil double dipping.
    Hmm...I dunno...each to their own. My work pays for my tuition and school supplies as long as I pass. Since they paid that expense already I won't claim it. I'm not trying to impress anyone with that, it's just the way I roll.

Come on,you are pirating movies and PPV's left and right,morals shmorals.