Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Then just stop right there Onion.Not falling for Police Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    I actually watched Alien for the first time last night.

I have Aliens ready to watch next weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by seansloan View Post
    Then just stop right there Onion.
    Listen to this guy. This guy right here. He's the guy to listen to.

Alien and Aliens were so great and everything else Alien related from there on out, excepting maybe a game or two and a themed bar, were meh at best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tantryl are the oldboy sequels worth checking out or should i not bother??

also, how ya feel about spike lee remaking it
    Andy Wang #1 P4P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

They don't quite reach the heights of awesomeness/awfulness that Oldboy does, but they're of a similar vein and absolutely damn fine films. Sympathy for Mr is the first of the series, but I put Oldboy first 'cause I knew people'd recognise it. They're not a series in the normal sense - the characters and circumstances are different each time, but they're connected by theme. Dark. Brutal. Vengeful.

*EDIT* And the Spike Lee thing? Ugh, whatever. I don't see what he can do with it that wasn't already done. I don't mind remakes and reboots and adaptations and whatnot, all storytelling does that to a certain degree anyway... I just don't think it should be done to artful films a few years after the original. Schlock horror? Go for it, I don't care how quickly you remake it, horror films don't vary much anyway. Dumb action? Fine, remake it quickly if you like, Spider-man 3 ruined that run anyway :P. But a dark as **** action/comedy/drama that's a godamn work of art and instant classic? Leave it 20 years before you remake it, please.
    Last edited by tantryl; 02-10-2013 at 09:28 PM.

While not the best by any means, I think for their to have been 7 of them, the Saw movies were incredibly consistent.

LOTR & Star Wars will always the best IMO.

Yeah, there's almost no way the Spike Lee Oldboy will be any good. Initially they were going to do an adaptation closer to the manga, which while a little more respectable is still unfortunate because the manga surprisingly sucks. Well, sucks is maybe too harsh.... but it's really slow and boring, and the parts most memorable about the movie (i.e, hammer fight, the ending, etc) weren't even in the manga. Park Chan-wook did to Oldboy what Kubrick did to The Shining; brought dull source material to life. Apparently now the Spike Lee Oldboy is just going to be a dulled-down copy of the film. I'll honestly try to give it a fair shake but it's not sounding promising.

Also, Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance is every bit as good as Oldboy. I'm unsure which film I'd say is better, they're both fantastic. Song Kang-ho is particularly amazing in Mr. Vengeance. Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is an okay film in it's own right, but not even close to as good as the first two.
    アッシュ

Originally Posted by Cbear
    Enter the Bear. Game over.

Quote Originally Posted by KnockOut View Post
    LOTR & Star Wars will always the best IMO.
    Star Wars consists of one good film, one great film, one fun film and three of the worst wide-release films ever made. They're so bad they make Ecks vs Sever and The Medallion look like competent and compelling story telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Also, Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance is every bit as good as Oldboy. I'm unsure which film I'd say is better, they're both fantastic. Song Kang-ho is particularly amazing in Mr. Vengeance. Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is an okay film in it's own right, but not even close to as good as the first two.
    I can understand putting Mister first or on the same level as Oldboy. It really is good. While I agree that Lady is the weakest of the three, I still think it's in the great-good range, certainly above okay.

Are all the movies connected to the Tarantino/Rodriguez Grindhouse feature considered a franchise?

Death Proof, Planet Terror,Machete and Hobo with a Shotgun would be a pretty decent list

Quote Originally Posted by Best80smovieRAD View Post
    men in black - good

2 and 3 - horribleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Really?
    I'm not usually a fan of the blockbuster type movies, but I found the MIB series pretty consistent.

I've only seen part 2 once, but I remember laughing a lot (especially at that pug).

The one that came out last year was actually a pretty good movie IMO. I truly enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by tantryl View Post
    Listen to this guy. This guy right here. He's the guy to listen to.

Alien and Aliens were so great and everything else Alien related from there on out, excepting maybe a game or two and a themed bar, were meh at best.
    Yeah, I didn't plan on going past Aliens (which I have seen before, when I was a kid). I've read that the others are pretty ****ty.