Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down A Good Day to Die Hard.

Just f*cking don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7% on RT last time I checked.

That's being generous. It's not quite Taken 2 or Parker dumb, but pretty close. At least Parker had plenty of unitentional humor to make it watchable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Identity thief review please.Love Bateman,wanted to see over the weekend.Almost 2 hours sure sounds like "alright I get it,lets wrap it up"

I have mixed feelings about Identity Thief. The character development in the film is horrid. The fat girl is amazingly unlikable, and even when they pull out the sympathy card and try to flesh out the character's back story to make her one of the protagonists of the film, she's still incredibly unlikable. Bateman is way too much of a straight man, I also thought. He plays his role well, but I think the movie would've benefited from a more gritty main character. Maybe someone like Louis CK would've been good. The sub plots with the bounty hunter (played by T-1000), and the two mob hit men are incredibly forgettable, and the last thing I didn't really care for is how much of a chick flick it slinks into towards the end. Oh, wow, the fat broad gets her hair done and suddenly Jason Bateman finds her to be less crass! Drivel.

The good? It's actually quite funny at parts. For a comedy, that's the most important thing really. Is it as good as Horrible Bosses? Not even close. But, it's not a complete waste of time, and if you can bring a broad to see Identity Thief, she'll love it. 6/10 for me.
    アッシュ

Originally Posted by Cbear
    Enter the Bear. Game over.

A Good Day to Die hard is...in a word...dumb. Not quite Taken 2 or Parker dumb, but pretty f*cking dumb nonetheless. I didn't expect it to be good (I was tipped off by the trailer), but I certainly hoped for better. To be fair making any sequel (let alone the fourth sequel) to arguably the greatest action film ever made is a tall order, but McTiernan (and to lesser extents Harlin and Wiseman) proved that it's not altogether impossible. John Moore however has yet to make a decent movie, and this one was obviously a shameless cash grab. I assume the idea was to make one final Die Hard with Willis while passing the torch to the son of McClane Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Crystal Skull style. Unfortunately like that film it fails miserably, and Die Hard without Bruce will make about $5. This one though will probably be a different story. It's been proven time and again that the American film going audience are sheep and if you hype something loud enough and long enough they'll come in droves with their wallets open. I'm sure it will open strong and I'd love to say that it will die a relatively quick death shortly there after, but people keep paying to see garbage like the Fast and Furious so who's to say anymore.

I love the original Die Hard. It's the perfect movie. I also love cheesy sequels, but ten minutes into this one I was already thinking about what I was going to do with the rest of my day. Generally I'm enraged when someone turns on their cellphone in a movie theater, but I saw several people flip theirs on to check the time and I couldn't blame them - I was ready to go too. The plot is so contrived and predictable I won't even insult your intelligence by explaining it, but the real problem with this film is that young Jack McClane (Jai Courtney) is about as charismatic as a dental hygienist (which was odd, because he was fantastic as Varro in Spartacus) and much of the action was so ludicrous it bordered on comedy. I have absolutely no problem with over the top action in a big, fun, tongue in cheek action movie, but the thing that made the original Die Hard so great was that nearly everything that happened in the film was grounded in believability. McClane wasn't a superhero, he was a regular guy caught in an extraordinary situation, and everything that he did in that film was conceivably possible for a regular guy with a set of brass balls to pull off. Another one of my action movie peeves is car chases/stunts that defy all the laws of physics. Over the course of this franchise those two elements have gotten progressively more retarded to the point that it nearly ruined Live Free or Die hard and completely kills this one. McClane is now a nearly sixty year old superhero and the car chases are straight out of a video game. It might work in The Expendables, but it simply doesn't fly in the Die Hard universe. Throw in the aforementioned, tired plot, a serious lack of character development and cheesy dialog and you have a recipe for a straight to video turd with a summer tent pole budget.

In all reality they probably should have just left well enough alone and stopped after Die Hard, but I'm glad they didn't. Instead of tarnishing your memory of this great franchise by watching this piece of sh!t however, I'd suggest snatching up the new 25th Anniversary Blu-Ray boxed set and settling in for a visit instead.

Disappointing to hear Jai wasn't able to salvage anything from the role, as you said he was great on Spartacus and I was hoping if nothing else this might springboard him to bigger and better projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrocked View Post
    A Good Day to Die hard is...in a word...dumb. Not quite Taken 2 or Parker dumb, but pretty f*cking dumb nonetheless. I didn't expect it to be good (I was tipped off by the trailer), but I certainly hoped for better. To be fair making any sequel (let alone the fourth sequel) to arguably the greatest action film ever made is a tall order, but McTiernan (and to lesser extents Harlin and Wiseman) proved that it's not altogether impossible. John Moore however has yet to make a decent movie, and this one was obviously a shameless cash grab. I assume the idea was to make one final Die Hard with Willis while passing the torch to the son of McClane Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Crystal Skull style. Unfortunately like that film it fails miserably, and Die Hard without Bruce will make about $5. This one though will probably be a different story. It's been proven time and again that the American film going audience are sheep and if you hype something loud enough and long enough they'll come in droves with their wallets open. I'm sure it will open strong and I'd love to say that it will die a relatively quick death shortly there after, but people keep paying to see garbage like the Fast and Furious so who's to say anymore.

I love the original Die Hard. It's the perfect movie. I also love cheesy sequels, but ten minutes into this one I was already thinking about what I was going to do with the rest of my day. Generally I'm enraged when someone turns on their cellphone in a movie theater, but I saw several people flip theirs on to check the time and I couldn't blame them - I was ready to go too. The plot is so contrived and predictable I won't even insult your intelligence by explaining it, but the real problem with this film is that young Jack McClane (Jai Courtney) is about as charismatic as a dental hygienist (which was odd, because he was fantastic as Varro in Spartacus) and much of the action was so ludicrous it bordered on comedy. I have absolutely no problem with over the top action in a big, fun, tongue in cheek action movie, but the thing that made the original Die Hard so great was that nearly everything that happened in the film was grounded in believability. McClane wasn't a superhero, he was a regular guy caught in an extraordinary situation, and everything that he did in that film was conceivably possible for a regular guy with a set of brass balls to pull off. Another one of my action movie peeves is car chases/stunts that defy all the laws of physics. Over the course of this franchise those two elements have gotten progressively more retarded to the point that it nearly ruined Live Free or Die hard and completely kills this one. McClane is now a nearly sixty year old superhero and the car chases are straight out of a video game. It might work in The Expendables, but it simply doesn't fly in the Die Hard universe. Throw in the aforementioned, tired plot, a serious lack of character development and cheesy dialog and you have a recipe for a straight to video turd with a summer tent pole budget.

In all reality they probably should have just left well enough alone and stopped after Die Hard, but I'm glad they didn't. Instead of tarnishing your memory of this great franchise by watching this piece of sh!t however, I'd suggest snatching up the new 25th Anniversary Blu-Ray boxed set and settling in for a visit instead.
    I'm shocked you'd subject yourself to this movie. And how you give Live Free or Random Bruce Willis movie any credit, I don't understand?

For what it was, I liked Taken 2.

For what it's worth, I sat through Taken 2 and came out of the movie with a "eh, meh" opinion of it. somewhat entertaining, not as good as the first, incredibly stupid and dumb at times - but I didn't hate it.

We walked out on "A Good DAy to Die Hard" - which is only a small handful of movies we've done that with.