Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Valentino Rossi's come back?

Looking over the pre-season testing times, it looks like Rossi's switch back to a Yamaha bike was all the change he needed to find his pace back. I think it's no secret that Ducati's bike has been problematic in the post-Stoner era. I'm mildly surprised Rossi couldn't turn their fortunes around, but it is what it is, I guess. Anyone think Rossi could be a title contender this year?
    Last edited by niniendowarrior; 02-20-2013 at 01:01 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

no......

I do think he can win a race or two

Quote Originally Posted by seansloan View Post
    no......
    At worst case, someone has to come in second/third place after Lorenzo...

Lorenzo is in another league.Pedroza is fast when he doesnt fall off.Cant believe the Ducati is in such bad shape.Hayden must have no clue how to set the bike up or be able to communicate with the engineers.

He can absolutely be a title contender, but it will take lots of consistency and likely a mistake or two by Jorge and Dani. The one thing that both of those guys lack on Vale is his willingness to fight, and as Stoner found out at Laguna a few years ago even a slower Valentino can pressure you into a mistake. Marquez will also contend if he can stay on the bike.

I can't for the life of me understand how people can continue to dog Hayden. He was consistently faster than Rossi on the D12, and he's the only guy who's really been able to do anything on the Ducati other than Stoner (on a completely different version) in 2007 and one off wins by Capirossi and Bayliss. He developed the RC211V by himself while Pedrosa reaped the rewards, and even managed to win a championship with it while going through multiple chassis and swing arms. As if Rossi's struggles at Ducati weren't proof enough that the problem is the bike. Under Filippo Preziosi the entire development program was about horsepower, but obviously they don't race in a straight line so top speed didn't translate. The power delivery is too abrupt and there have been issues with the chassis as well. The traditional Desmo was frame less, meaning that the forks and swing arm basically attached to the engine. It's difficult to make adjustments with that setup, so if the bike doesn't turn it just doesn't turn. Preziosi is out and Paolo Ciabatti is back in after leading the Ducati WSBK team to great success. He's vowed to make the necessary changes to keep Ducati competitive, and an influx of Audi cash and a little German organization can't hurt. I look to see Ducati make great strides, but not this season. Hayden has already said that the 2013 Desmo is basically the same bike he struggled with last year, and Dovizioso, Iannone and Spies don't seem too thrilled with it either. Switching to a Japanese style aluminum frame (to placate Rossi) helped, but there's still plenty to be sorted out. With a great deal of technical changes in store for 2014 I don't see Ducati spending the money on R&D for a new bike that will be largely unusable next season. Instead they'll continue to struggle and Hayden will continue to be the scapegoat even though he'll likely finish the season as the most consistent Ducati rider.

But back to Rossi. He's completely rejuvenated by his return to Yamaha, and is determined that 2013 will be a "rebirth" as he put it. He says the current M1 is superior to his beloved 2009 version in every way and is even easier to ride. He's fired up and having fun, and I really think anyone who writes him off is making a big mistake. If he's not fighting for the championship at the end of the season I'll be very surprised. Just for the record I'm picking Pedrosa. He's the fastest guy in the paddock, and he's due. If it weren't for bad luck he'd have no luck at all, and I think this is the year he puts it all together.

I think it's the same kind of criticism no matter the motorsport you're in. It's always a driver/machine package and people think that drivers/riders skill can be judged regardless of the package they are in. I think having a dreadfully slow bike can be damaging to any driver/rider's psyche, but sometimes, it's not the person's inability. Sometimes, it's the machine. I think fans who saw Hayden's signing into Ducati thought of his 2006 title (is it?) and now that he's languishing there, they think he's over the hill. I for one had a feeling that Rossi's dark Ducati years had broken him mentally to the point of retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    I for one had a feeling that Rossi's dark Ducati years had broken him mentally to the point of retirement.
    If anything it seems as if it's sparked a fire in him that we haven't seen in a few years. In fact it almost feels like it did the year after he won his last championship with Honda. Everyone said it was the bike, so he went to the team with the worst bike determined to prove himself all over again. It feels like he's got some proving to do again, and he's not a 9 time world champion for nothing.

Two weeks away from the start of the 2013 season and Rossi is finding his old form. Fastest at Jerez today ahead of of Jorge, Crutchlow and Dani. The biggest surprise might be Marquez all the way back in seventh. As fast as he was at Circuit of the Americas I expected more on a track he was familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrocked View Post
    Two weeks away from the start of the 2013 season and Rossi is finding his old form. Fastest at Jerez today ahead of of Jorge, Crutchlow and Dani. The biggest surprise might be Marquez all the way back in seventh. As fast as he was at Circuit of the Americas I expected more on a track he was familiar with.
    Great to hear that! I hope Rossi grabs one more title and then retires. It'll be the perfect way to cap his career.