Pro Quality. Fan Perspective.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why The Music Industry Can Go To Hell

I would bet my left nut the average person has been exposed to #1 over 1000X more than #2. I rest my case.

Surely, in a just world, they would get equal consideration? (minus the million dollar dance budget of course ... )
    Last edited by don king; 02-22-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Never heard of no 2. And I hate Michael Jackson; glad to say he never got a penny of my money. So, if I hate Jackson, should I hate Candlemass too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Repent Ash, repent!

Quote Originally Posted by Cbear View Post
    Never heard of no 2. And I hate Michael Jackson; glad to say he never got a penny of my money. So, if I hate Jackson, should I hate Candlemass too?
    If you've never heard that song, you owe yourself to at least listen to it once. I am not kidding.

Not saying it is great or you will even like it, but it's certainly the opposite end of the spectrum. It's music for the sake of music. Art of the sake of art. That's why you never heard it before.

Ironically, in the context of these songs, one tries to be scary .. the other doesn't try ...

Quote Originally Posted by don king View Post
    If you've never heard that song, you owe yourself to at least listen to it once. I am not kidding.

Not saying it is great or you will even like it, but it's certainly the opposite end of the spectrum. It's music for the sake of music. Art of the sake of art. That's why you never heard it before.

Ironically, in the context of these songs, one tries to be scary .. the other doesn't try ...
    Well ok, I tried to listen to it but I dont care for sludgy metal so I fast forwarded through it. Sabbath wrote the book on sludge metal and even that got old for me real fast. The problem is that there is a hell of alot more lite music fans who want 3 minute poppy dance songs than there are who want 8 minute speed metal, sludge metal, growly metal and what not. The music bidness is about making money and they appeal to the lowest common denominator. On the flip side, in todays internet world you can find every type of bizarro music you can imagine and that stuff never would have been committed to vinyl back in the day as nobody would front the money for it.

And in closing, Michael jackson sucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Repent Ash, repent!

ha ha

at least you tried

I agree with your closing statement. So would countless pre-teen boys, but we'll just let that slide.

Candlemass actually outSabbathed Black Sabbath when it came to Doom. This is their signature song. Give it a few seconds, before you dismiss an entire genre:

I would bet my left nut the average person has been exposed to #1 over 1000X more than #2. I rest my case.
    It's true, although I know the name Candlemass I have never heard any of their stuff. I listened to the two videos you posted. I can't say that I'm a fan of either. It's too slow for me. If the music is slow then I have to really like the vocals. I don't like the vocals. Not to say they aren't talented but it's not my cup of tea.

ha ha

at least you tried

I agree with your closing statement. So would countless pre-teen boys, but we'll just let that slide.

Candlemass actually outSabbathed Black Sabbath when it came to Doom. This is their signature song. Give it a few seconds, before you dismiss an entire genre:
    Its....ok. Sorry, sludge is just doesnt tickle my taste buds. I hear alot of metal live and its jaded me quite a bit. Just tonight I heard a regional act do their spiel which was centered on hating Isreal and that the Rothchilds rule the world (yawn.....). My problem is I listen to alot of metal and think most is crap. Speed metal/growl metal/sludge metal better be damn good to impress me. This isnt even metal but you better be damn good to try and beat it....especially if you play the spooky stuff.

Repent Ash, repent!

Candlemass
    Both Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and Nightfall are some of the best doom metal LP's ever done and definitely one of my favorite bands of all time. If you enjoy their sound and traditional doom metal don't forget to check out at least Blue Cheer, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Trouble. Also Reverend Bizarre from Finland were pretty good.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Thanks again for helping me to revisit Candlemass. I had forgotten how much I loved this band, and it's funny to listen to it now and hear how much they influenced more contemporary bands I love like Type O Negative. Good stuff. And just for the record, Thriller is a killer album. Child fingering and surgical masks aside, the guy (especially the early version) was talented. That said I'll sacrifice a goat in the third bay of my garage to some Candlemass before you catch me moonwalking anyday.

I don't know how anyone can say this is the best of all time. The band hasn't made even a scratch in the top albums. They played some crappy tunes disguised as elite guitar playing and died off. That is all they contributed. That is what Candlemass is to me.